Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

dividing marks between families

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 16 Jul 2009 10:25

Can anyone tell me why some families have one line and others two dividing them from their neighbours ( 1841 census) ? Many thanks Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Jul 2009 10:27

If there is one line between families it usually means that they are living in the same house but as a separate household.

If there are two lines then they are usually in the next house.

Kath. x

Sue

Sue Report 16 Jul 2009 10:34

Thanks Kath, thats what I thought, but looking at the census for a Norfolk village there are about 7 families all with lots of children only divided by one line, who couldn't possibly be living in one house! Do you think they could be in a row of cottages?Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Jul 2009 10:38

I suppose it could be, but you'd be surprised at how many people used to share houses.

In the 1891 census my great grandparents were living in a boarding house in the town where I was born. The houses are still there today and although they are quite large Victorian terraced houses I wouldn't have thought you could get 50 people in them - but that's how many people there are living there on the census!!!

Kath. x