Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP RE ADOPTIONS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 16 Jul 2009 16:36

I would be very grateful if somone could give me some advice please. I have recently found out that one of my aunties had a child when she was very young and was made to give up the said child for adoption. Apparently the baby was a boy and father was an American serviceman. My aunt was born in 1929 in the Wiltshire area. I have searched the birth records to see what comes up locally and have looked at 1943 to 46 currently but there's nothing jumping out at me. I do not have a name or any other information for the baby. I never met any of my aunties and uncles on my Father's side of the family and have recently met first cousins from 4 of the 6 other siblings which is wonderful. The lady in question eventually married and we believe did not have any further children. Her parents were very strict and the loss of her baby apparently broke her heart. I would dearly love to find out what happened to this child. Can anyone give me any advice on where to start? The mother was called Sophia Potter but I believe she was known as Sophie. Any help anyone could give would be very gratefully appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.
Val

Kate

Kate Report 16 Jul 2009 16:54

I would think the baby's birth registration will come up under their mother's surname, so you would probably be looking for a child named Potter with a mother's maiden name of Potter.

I was going to suggest that you look for babies born in the mother's home area but then it occurred to me that perhaps Sophie went away from home to give birth.

Susan

Susan Report 16 Jul 2009 17:00

If it turns out the baby's surname was Potter, usually the adoption takes place withing 5/6 months, so you will need the date of birth ideally, then its a case of trawling through the adoption records to find out who the parents were.

Valerie

Valerie Report 17 Jul 2009 15:52

Thank you Kate, Susan and Corinne for your replies. Corinne - yes you have found the correct person. Sophia has passed away now and as there were no children born to her and her husband I think it is OK to mention names. I think we are looking at a much earlier period than the John you mention. All we have been told is that she was very young, and with the fact that an American serviceman was mentioned as the father I have veered towards the later war years as the start date. We have in fact found a male on one of the adoption sites whose birth name was Potter and have sent a message. Will have to wait to find out more. If you do happen to find any further information I would love to receive it. I had to leave my PC last night and will be out from about 6pm to 10 pm tonight, school end of term party, so will look at this thread later when I am back. Again, thank you for all your help and guidance.
Val