Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Institutionalised because pregnant out of wedlock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 17 Jul 2009 19:07

I have a relative who (according to family stories) was institutionalised as a young woman (probably in the 1920s, possibly early 1930s or late 1910s) because she became pregnant out of wedlock.

The story goes that she was not released until she was an old woman, my father remembers meeting her after her release and, in his opinion, she had all her "faculties" and clearly should never have been in an institution.

Has anyone else ever come across this and do you have any tips on how to search for more info. Clearly it is too recent for census and I assume such cases wouldn't be reported in local papers etc. Also many institutions don't exist any more. This would have been in or around Bridgnorth in Shropshire, but she may have been sent away.

Any ideas where I could start looking?

Thank you

Helen

EDIT - sorry won't be back on thread until later in the weekend as baby finally sleeping and I am shattered!

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 17 Jul 2009 19:15

Unfortunately Helen this was quite common. Your relative would have been institutionalised in a Psychiatric Hospital or a unit attached to one.

For instance in Huddersfield there was a large Hospital called Storthes Hall and in the grounds was a house called The Mansion. When it all close down in the 60/70's there were a lot of women there just like your relative.
You have to look for large 'Mental Asylums' as they were then. The National Archives Site has info about hospitals and where records are, though there will be a 100 yr closure I think

AllanC

AllanC Report 17 Jul 2009 20:52

Yes, sadly it was quite common. But not universal; an aunt of mine at age 19 was seduced by the young man of the family she was in service with (this was in 1900) and got pregnant, but he (or his family) faced up to his responsibilities and paid for her to have the baby in a maternity home and then contributed to his upbringing on condition that she never revealed his name. And her (my) family were supportive too. She went on to get married and had two other children plus a stepdaughter from her husband's previous marriage. In later years she was regarded as a sympathetic adviser and confidante by the rest of the family - I certainly remember her as a really nice person. (And I found her great-granddaughter through Genes R)
What a shame that so many others were denied that sort of life!

Kate

Kate Report 17 Jul 2009 21:54

You just reminded me, Allan - we lately found out (about a year ago) that my gran's younger sister's eldest child was fathered by a GI and born in 1941 when my great-aunty was only 18. The twin of this girl who had the baby once told me my great-grandad was a very strict father so I asked my dad why (if he was a strict father) Great-grandad didn't make her give the baby up for adoption. My dad's thought was that he'd probably have been of the "you make a mistake, you live with it" mindset.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Jul 2009 22:39

It's worth contacting the local Record Office for info. You should be able to get hold of records if you are a close enough relative - they will charge a fee. But start there at least.

Jill

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 18 Jul 2009 16:26

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies, lots of new leads to follow up so thank you again. Helen

Sorcha

Sorcha Report 18 Jul 2009 17:21

Hi Helen,
This was indeed common at the beginning of last century, patients were admitted to Psychiatric Units for many dubious reasons.
I would suggest you search for any Psychiatric Units or Mental Disability Units in the area and see who holds the records.
I recently found the records of my husband's GreatGrandfather who was admitted to a Psychiatric Unit in the 1920's after suffering a 'stroke'.
These records were archived by the local university and we have now had access to the records which were very detailed and even included a photograph

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 19 Jul 2009 11:35

thank you Sorcha, will do a bit of googling and searcing on Access for Archives or whatever it is called now!

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 19 Jul 2009 12:21

I worked on a Psychiatric Unit and there were some ladies who had been there for several years because they had a child out of wedlock. One of them had a mentally handicapped child and the child had been placed in another unit Until the childs death she was allowed to visit it once a year

Bren.

Eileen

Eileen Report 19 Jul 2009 13:15

They didn't just have to be pregnant,just an embarrassment to the family. As a radiographer i treated a very intelligent old lady who had gone to Paris to study art. Family disapproved and she was brought back and "put away".I read through her notes,and it was appalling! Eileen

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 20 Jul 2009 10:45

thanks again to everyone who replied