Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

County Leitrim, Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 18 Jul 2009 20:35

Please can anyone help?

I have recently found out from the 1911 census that my gr gr grandmother , Ann McManus (b.1829) was born in Mailwood, Co. Leitrim. This has been a bit of a revelation as every other census in England since 1851 states place of birth as "Ireland"! She never appears on the England census with any other family member before her marriage to John Ward.

Her father on her marriage cert is Hugh McManus.

The problem I have now is where in Co. Leitrim is Mailwood? I have done the usual Google searches but come up with conflicting info. I am hoping there are some Irish detectives out there!

Sandra

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Jul 2009 20:44

Elizabeth DOYLE W 65 F Inmate Housekeeper Lietrim Co Mailwood, Ireland

found this reference on google -

Workhouse - the Story of Workhouses
Elizabeth DOYLE, W, 65, F, Inmate, Housekeeper, Lietrim Co Mailwood, Ireland .... Catherine MILLER, W, 50, F, Inmate, Calico Weaver, Leitrim, Ireland ...

users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/index.htm... - 3k - Similar pages

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/index.html?Salford/SalfordPendleton1881.shtml

Fiona

Fiona Report 18 Jul 2009 22:28

Sandra,
I did a check on Google.ie for Mailwood leitrim for Ireland only sites.
There are two results that come up - both from genealogy info.
One of them states that Mailwood is close to Minkill

Hope this helps
Fiona

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 20 Jul 2009 20:25

Thanks for the replies from Ann & Fiona.
Sadly I cannot link in "Doyle" or "Miller"to my family but it has confirmed that someone else was born in Mailwood, so not a fictitious place made up by Gr Gr Granny!!

After a bit more googling I found a place called Mealwood near Tully in Co. Leitrim so I may have a destination for a future holiday!

If anyone has any further information on the area, or details of churches or parish records then please PM me.

I cannot get on the boards as often as I would like.

Thank you
Sandra

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 21 Jul 2009 19:31

Thanks Hibs,
I have been on the site and there is a forum but sadly no replies to my questions and no details of my ancestor either. Ah well thats the life of a geneologist!!

I like to try all avenues as maybe someday someone will have the answer to my query.