Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christenings

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 19 Jul 2009 19:22

Does anyone know if there was a period of time parents had to wait after the birth of a child before the child was christened.

One of my relations was christened on the 11th January 1828 and I was wondering if it was more likely he was born in 1827 or 1828?

Tawny

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 19 Jul 2009 19:29

I have seen christenings take place a week after birth but I think it is more likely to be a month as the mother and child could be churched at the same time thus killing two birds with one stone!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Jul 2009 19:36

The baby was often Christened without delay if it was weak or sickly.
I have on my tree a baby born on October 1st and Christened on the 4th - the same day that her mother died, but the baby survived.

Sometimes a helpful vicar wrote the birthdate in the baptism register. It's always worth checking.
Gwyn

Tawny

Tawny Report 19 Jul 2009 19:39

Thank you both for replying I will leave his year of birth as 1827 and this appears to be the most likely conclusion.

Tawny

Joy

Joy Report 19 Jul 2009 22:28

Sometimes siblings were christened on the same day - sort of multi-buy :-) -
for instance, in my family two siblings were christened the same day, one was very young, the other about a year old.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 19 Jul 2009 23:04

And also christenings could take place years after the birth. I have several who had a "block christening" in 1856 for children up to 10 years old, and have just found a relly christened at age 20.

Margaret

Tawny

Tawny Report 20 Jul 2009 21:24

Thank you for replying. Someone on site found me a copy of the 1841 census and his age was given as 14 so he was definately christened not long after birth.

Tawny