Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Middy

Middy Report 22 Jul 2009 21:02

Hi I really need some help/advice, I am doing my family tree on here but cannot seem to add a second husband - keeps doing a copy of the woman, didn't happen when I did a second wife for a man.

Any ideas??

Rose

Rose Report 23 Jul 2009 00:43

Hi
Make sure you have the details of the woman on your screen and you should just be able to ADD PARTNER. I do not have any trouble adding
this info on my tree. If you have already tried this I do not know what else to suggest, sorry.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Jul 2009 11:04

In Immediate Family View:-

1.Select the person you with to add the new spouse to, by clicking on them. The colour of their box will change to cream.

2.Click the arrow to the right (arrow is on the left if the person is a man)

3.Select Add Spouse from the dropdown.

4.Enter details and save the result.

Middy

Middy Report 23 Jul 2009 14:24

Thanks for all your tips

The problem I have is that when I add a man and a woman, his wife dies he remarries - have no problem whatsoever adding another marriage to him and the tree stays in tact - however when I do it the opposite way ie: woman and a man, husband dies, she re-marries - when I add the 2nd husband it does her as a copy and does a difference branch - but she has children with both husbands and therefore they are half siblings so need to be all attached - I can't seem to be able to do this

Thanks

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Jul 2009 14:39

I don't understand what is happening here. Sorry to ask a dumb question, but you aren't inadvertently doing something obvious by clicking on the husband instead of the wife? I am not sure that there would be any distinction between male and female when adding a partner.
Jan

Middy

Middy Report 23 Jul 2009 14:46

Hi Jan

Thanks for replying - no I have clicked on her and then tried both adding partner and also adding spouse but neither way works - it just makes a copy of her name - and then adds the 2nd husband and starts a difference branch - I am bamboozled. Do you think it is worth me buying or downloading a family tree program? If yes, any ideas where/which one?

Many thanks for your help x