Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspapers- Glasgow

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 24 Jul 2009 12:24

Does anyone know if I can access old newspapers online form Glasgow 1930.

I would like to do a search for a post mortem report

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jul 2009 12:31

I can't say about Scotland, but in England most old local newspapers are kept on microfilm at the nearest library.

Kath. x

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 24 Jul 2009 12:39

mmm slight problem then, I live in Lancashire.

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 Jul 2009 12:45

This is from
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/LKS/Glasgow/index.html

Newspapers
The Glasgow Collection of Newspapers is available in the Glasgow Collection of the Mitchell Library. This contains a variety of newspapers published since 1715 until 1993 including

microfilm copies of the Evening Times from 1877,

Bulletin 1915 to 1960,

Evening Citizen 1877 to 1974,

Sunday Mail from 1919,

the Daily Record from 1895 and

the Glasgow Herald from 1790.
The Herald (as it is now known) is the only paper which is indexed and the quality of this is varied; from 1889 to 1905 an annual manuscript index is available (sometimes difficult to read); from 1906 to 1984 an annual index was published; from 1985 a good card index is available.

Might be worth contacting the FHS which is also on same Genuki page, or asking on here see if anyone is in Glasgow?

xx

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 24 Jul 2009 13:05

Thanks Rose,

You have given me some good tips there. I shall have a search around.