Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PLEASE COULD SOMEONE HELP ME

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 24 Jul 2009 16:45

Hi could anyone help me please? Does anyone know where i can get my grandads service records from? He was in the 2nd world war and was a nurse he was also captured and was sent to a prisoner of war camp in Germany by the polish border, where do i find this info out from? any help would be most grateful.
Kind regards Kelly Petrovics

AllanC

AllanC Report 24 Jul 2009 17:01

There was a thread some time ago about WW2 service records. I've nudged it so you should find it near the top of the Tips Board.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 24 Jul 2009 17:02

Try this website for service records:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/

you have to be next of kin or have next of kin permission and there is a fee, about £30 I think

Apparently the Red Cross can help with POW info, but they need a lot of info e.g. regiment etc. It can also take up to 6 months to get the info, I applied for some for my father-in-law in April and haven't heard anything back yet.

http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/archives?opendocument

Heather

Heather Report 24 Jul 2009 18:21

Was he in the British army? Do you know his regiment?

Kelly

Kelly Report 26 Jul 2009 14:33

Hi my dad says he was in the Royal Medical Corps but that is as much as he knows!
Thank you all for your help and advice.

Alan

Alan Report 26 Jul 2009 17:55

Kelly,................if you havent already got the address it's

HISTORICAL Disclosures
Army Personnel Centre
Mail Point 535
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow G2 8EX
Phone: 01412248034

It'll cost about £30 and have to wait about a couple of months. You will have to be next of kin or have permission of next of kin to apply. Suggest you phone them just to clarify.
Good luck