Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chester Street plans

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 25 Jul 2009 10:57

Trying to see if there would be a street plan/Map for Frodsham Street in Chester in the early to mid 1800s. Wondered if it would show shops etc as my ancestor lived there & possibly had a butcher shop about that time.

Janice

Janice Report 25 Jul 2009 11:24

Have you tried Historical Directories to see if you can find one early enough to confirm him as a butcher?

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Adam

Adam Report 25 Jul 2009 11:26

Try contacting your local records office.
Mine kindly photocopied and posted me an 1880 map of my area free of charge.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 25 Jul 2009 11:27

Sorry Janice, I've worded it all wrong lol

He's definitely a butcher and he lived in Frodsham Street. (Actually couldn't find him on any trade directories on the Chester Records site - I think they were too early or too late)

I just thought his butcher's shop may be in Frodsham Street too and a street plan may confirm this.

Sorry to mislead you.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 25 Jul 2009 11:28

ooh thanks Adam, I think I'll try that.

Alan

Alan Report 25 Jul 2009 12:17

Frodsham Street still a busy street with many original buildings. Most shops are on the smaller side rather than store size. Therefore possible your ancestors shop still there.

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jul 2009 12:28

SRS what was the name of shop? My mum was born in Chester, above Lloyds bank, she talked a lot about the shops it may ring a bell with me.

xx

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 25 Jul 2009 18:11

Sorry everyone, I've been out shopping with my mum lol Thanks for all your replies.

I don't know the name of the shop Rose. To be honest I'm only presuming he had a shop because he was a butcher and he was the only ancestor I have found who left a will. I doubt your mum would be old enough to remember it, my ancestor died just after the 1841 census.

His son who was also a butcher died shortly afterwards so perhaps if he had a business, it was sold or folded.