Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Uniform

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Little Welshy

Little Welshy Report 25 Jul 2009 13:22

Hi All,

Am trying to work out a gentleman in 2 photos that I have, both of him in military uniform. Am having trouble getting them to scan and wonder if anyone might be able to identify a time period with a description? I think that they are pre-first world war. I guessed the Boer War, but having looked on the internet, they match more the Crimea- but given the timing, not sure how likely these would to have been taken back then!

Anyway, photo 1 has a gentleman with a little bell boy hat leaning to the right of his head- it is dark in colour with a wide lighter stripe directly above his head and a strap to hold it on around his face- thin.

If I had to guess, I would say his top could be red- it has a triangle point above the point where it meets his trousers and simply has a row of gold buttons going down the middle. Across his top he is wearing a white sash diagonally across his front- it starts at his left sholuder and goes down his right side in line with the slopey hat on his head.

He is wearing white gloves and is holding a sword that comes up to his waist. His trousers are dark and on his feet he has black shoes with a big spike on the back.

The photo says Charleton and son Newbridge, Curragh and Dublin and he is posing in front of some tree lined wallpaper against a chari with lots of tassels coming off the back of it.

We just came a cross this photo in my Nan's house, her father's family were from Liverpool, Penrith and Wrexham, and her Mum from Oxfordshire- maybe he could have been stationed in Ireland?

The next photo seems to be the same man- only this time he has no hat on his head and instead of his buttons going down the middle of his tunic, they now go down the sides of his unfirm and he has some crests on his collar- he is also now wearing two medals and instead of the white sash, seems to have two pieces of cord across his top half. I can only see his top half in the photo- this photo is from robert gell, middleburg and newcastle.

I now it is not very much to go on but would be very grateful for any help as have no idea who he is yet!

Many Thanks
Claire
xxx

Little Welshy

Little Welshy Report 25 Jul 2009 13:55

Dear Margaret,

Thanks ever so much -will certainly give it a try!

Claire
xxx

Little Welshy

Little Welshy Report 25 Jul 2009 14:07

Dear Margaret,

As ever the clue was there all along -Robert Gell photgraphed for the South African Newspapers - Newcastle being in Natal! Now just have to try and work out who he is!

Claire
xxx