Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Licenses/marriage Banns

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 26 Jul 2009 19:56

what exactly does it mean if someone got married by marriage licence?

Are there any additional records that exist because someone got married by licence?

Also would there be any additional records if someone got married after banns?

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 26 Jul 2009 21:09

Hi,

Yes there could be additional information for a Marriage by Licence if the Bond has survived, usually it is because they couldn't wait the 3 weeks for the Banns to be read in Church for whatever reason.

A very helpful lady in the Hereford Record Office found one of mine in 1810, someone had to put up the bond, in our case it was £100.00 which was quite a sum in those days and they married the day after the bond was posted, if they didn't appear for the marriage the money would be forfeited and I still do not know who on earth the man was who pledged his £100.00.

Kind regards
Amanda

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 26 Jul 2009 21:14

Thanks Amanda, this is something I can look into further.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 26 Jul 2009 21:39

My grandfather married by licence in August 1922. He was still in the army at the time and was there until September 1922 so I assume it was because he was in a hurry.

Made me think that I ought to see if I can track down any other records involved.

Jill

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Jul 2009 10:51

I like the idea of the bond being forfeited if the couple didn't turn up - however this wasn't what it was for.

The licence allowed a coupe to circumvent the calling of the banns over a period of three Sundays, which in turn allowed the congregation to object if they felt their were some impediment to the marriage.

To do this they had to make a sworn declaration that there was no just cause or impediment why the marriage should not take place, backed up by the bond. The bond would be forfeited if it subsequently came to light that there had been an impediment.

Licences were more common that one may think, and were often used when a couple married away from their home parishes. I have several examples in my family tree.

They were also popular with the better off, almost for their 'snob' value, because a licence required payment, they might choose to obtain one as a status symbol.

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jul 2009 13:26

A licence normally took 15 days to get, whereas banns took three successive Sundays (i.e., 15 days). Banns weren't free. If banns were called in both the bride and the groom's home parishes, there'ld be two sets to pay for - there'ld typically be a record in both parishes, although one might be omitted and replaced by the marriage record. If both parishes were in the same registration district, one would only need to pay one licence fee.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 27 Jul 2009 13:34

Thank you :) It makes far more sense to me now.

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jul 2009 23:36

The IGI extracts banns and marrs - here's an example of two OPR extracts with banns in Longside and a marr in the next parish.

Results for: William Slessor, Scotland, British Isles
Spouse: Christian Slessor
Exact Spelling: Off

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 2
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. WILLIAM SLESSOR - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 21 DEC 1820 Longside, Aberdeen, Scotland

2. WILLIAM SLESSOR - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Marriage: 23 DEC 1820 Old Deer, Aberdeen, Scotland

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Jul 2009 09:48

I was under the impression that the 15 day notice rule for licenses applied to civil or Noncomformist weddings after 1837. The details were posted publicly for at least 15 days, by the registrar, to allow for objections. This is what happened with my own wedding, which took place at the United Reformed Church.

In the case of earlier licenses, I believe they were issued almost immediately, thereby bypassing the 15 day notice, hence the requirement for a bond, which could become forfeit should someone come forward later and claim there was an impediment.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 28 Jul 2009 13:51

As mgnv said you had to pay twice if the couple were in different parishes.

That explains why when you get a marriage cert the couple are often at the same address or residing with someone of the same parish

Joy

Joy Report 28 Jul 2009 14:13

Then there is -
Married by Certificate - this means that a couple had waited three weeks between giving notice and getting married.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 28 Jul 2009 22:46

Thanks everyone for replying. I didn't know most of this.

Kate

Kate Report 28 Jul 2009 22:54

You just reminded me, Brinsley - don't know if anyone has read Pride and Prejudice but when Mrs. Bennet (whose basic purpose in life is to find rich son-in-laws) finds out that Lizzy is going to marry Darcy, she actually says - to quote the book - "Ten thousand a year, and very likely more! 'Tis as good as a Lord! And a special licence. You must and shall be married by a special licence."

So now I'm wondering if it is because he was an earl's grandson and she wanted the special licence so she could show off to her neighbours, or because Darcy was living with his friend Bingley in Hertfordshire rather than in his home parish in Derbyshire?