Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Would able bodied seamen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 26 Jul 2009 22:19

need a passport when travelling to other countries? How else would they enter port?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 26 Jul 2009 22:30

Don't think so. What period are you talking about?

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 26 Jul 2009 22:36

I didn't think they would. I just thought about it now to be honest. I have several ancestors who went to see but was looking at someone in my tree who was an AB seaman in 1861.

Ron

Ron Report 26 Jul 2009 22:49

The first U.K. Passport was not issued until 1915

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 26 Jul 2009 22:51

Thanks Ron :-)

Googled and found this:

In 1858, passports became a standard document issued solely to British nationals. They were a simple single-sheet paper document and by 1914 included a photograph of the holder.
The British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914 was passed on the outbreak of the First World War. This introduced, in 1915, a new format, a single sheet folded into eight and containing a cardboard cover. It included a description of the holder as well as a photograph, and had to be renewed after two years.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 27 Jul 2009 13:40

So did seamen need any identification when they landed abroad?

Just trying to establish if there are any documents that may have existed to verify if he is the same one in my family. He seems to fit the age and place of birth.

I seem to have lost most of the family after 185 so just trying to see if there are other clues lying around lol

PS maybe some time before I will be back to reply.

MargaretRose

MargaretRose Report 27 Jul 2009 17:26

Hi, I've been looking for details on my grandfather who was in Merchant Navy Royal Navy and Naval Reserves. I thought, like you, he'd need a passport. Apparently not. They were issued with a travel warrant when they were going to sea.

Doesn't mean he didn't have a passport. You can find that out by contacting disclosure of information in the UK. po box 215 peterborough PE1 1QQ tel 01733 888242.
good luck

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 27 Jul 2009 18:53

Thanks Margaret :)

I will look into when travel warrants began.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 27 Jul 2009 19:04

Travel warrents were not a means of identification or were issued in leiu of a passport and simply were permission to travel to or from home to their home port (usually by train) A warrant would be exchanged at the railway station for a train ticket. with the Navy picking up the bill for the ticket costs.
These days RN personnel do need a passport (although in reality they are rarely checked - after all if you arrive on a big grey ship flying a white ensign there is every possibility that you are British)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 27 Jul 2009 20:26

Thanks Colin :-)

so does anyone know back in 1860, would able bodied seaman need identification?

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jul 2009 23:15

Obviously not - he'ld certainly not need it if he only sailed between UK ports, e.g., Liverpool-Dublin, London-Newcastle, etc.
As a Brit, he'ld have right of entry to all British colonies, e.g., British North America, Australia, NZ, India, etc.
Even aside from that, I don't think people were that bothered - note the UK didn't keep any passenger lists from Europe.

MargaretRose

MargaretRose Report 28 Jul 2009 09:46

Hello again, just wanted to mention that I got my grandfather's joining paper for the Merchant Marine service at the national archive at Kew. They keep a lot of naval records there. It does depend on what time you are talking about but they might be worth a call.

It didn't tell me a great deal about him in the end I'm afraid but did confirm his date and place of birth and had a great picture of him on there aged about 18. I think some records are more complete than others though. Worth a look there.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 28 Jul 2009 22:47

Thanks everyone.

Margaret, that is certainly worth looking into.I will see what I can find out. Thanks again.