Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice about modern census returns please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 28 Jul 2009 12:11

Hi
I think i read that it is possible to go to Kew and do a paid search of a modern census return if you have the specific address.
Is this correct? And does anyone know how much it would cost??
I have been on their website but cant find any details about this!?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jul 2009 12:30

No the latest census available to the public is the 1911 census for England and Wales.
The 1911 census is available at Kew and you just pay for a print out of any census page .
I think you may be thinking of electoral rolls which will available in the local areas

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 28 Jul 2009 12:40

Yes you could do this years ago, I don't know if you still can. It did cost about 30 pounds and if anyone on the return was still alive you had to have their permission to view it.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Jul 2009 12:49

That was the 1911 census, before it was on general release.

A loophole was found under the Freedom of Information Act, if I remember correctly, but you had to pay "full recovery costs" per order of HM Treasury, to get copies, hence the £30 charge.

sparklysam

sparklysam Report 29 Jul 2009 14:08

Thanks for your replies everyone!