Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry/FMP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Jul 2009 18:57

Is there any difference in these sites re. census reports? I have ancestry and sometimes can't find info, but am never quite sure whether it is worth asking for an FMP lookup. Don't want to waste anyone's time!
Jan

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Jul 2009 19:00

Transcriptions do vary from Ancestry to Findmypast.

I usually do a free search on FMP and then using the info then try and find on Ancestry

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Jul 2009 19:07

Thanks! Have never gone anywhere near FMP, might have a look!
Jan

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 30 Jul 2009 05:53

FindMyPast is incomplete for 1851 and 1901. Also it does not have images for 1881, nor does it have Scottish censuses.

FMP does however have an address index for all the censuses that it does hold, whereas Ancestry only has an address index for 1881.

I stick with Ancestry because of their greater coverage. However I suspect that the FMP index is more accurate, and like GlitterBaby says above, you can still use the free index on FMP and compare with the Ancestry search results if you can't find who you're looking for on the latter.

Richard