Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificates..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 30 Jul 2009 16:12

Hi, Can anyone please help me - I have a (copy) marriage certificate for a wedding that occurred in 1898. It gives the fathers names and occupations. However, if one of the fathers was deceased at the time of the marriage was it the 'done thing/law' to write deceased under their name, or would it vary from county to county ? Many thanks in anticipation. Claire :o)

Claire

Claire Report 30 Jul 2009 16:18

Thanks for the quick response, I was thinking as much ... that helps a little bit. Thank you.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 30 Jul 2009 16:19

If the information was given or asked for that the father was deceased it was normally added.
I have not heard of it being law.
I have one where it says,,DEAD,,not deceased!!

Thelma

Thelma Report 30 Jul 2009 17:02

I have had the misfortune of having named father "deceased".
Only later finding out that some illigitimate children invent a father when they marry.