Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chemist - Apprenticeship, Assistant

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 31 Jul 2009 06:51

Hi is there anyone who could provide information or direct me to information on an apprenticeship with a Chemist in the late 1800's to 1912 in Scotland?

I have two relatives who both ended up as a Chemist's Assistant after serving as a Chemist's Apprentice. I am not sure if being an apprentice, followed by an assisant meant that one eventually became a chemist?

I have tried to google information but there does nots eem to be a lot on this particular query.

Kind regards

Rachelle

AllanC

AllanC Report 31 Jul 2009 08:01

I take it that by "chemist" you mean "pharmacist"?
You could try the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (www.rpsgb.org.uk) - they may have historical records.
These days you can't become a pharmacist without a 4 or 5 year university degree course but it was probably easier in days gone by.

If you do mean a chemist in the correct sense of the word - a person who studies or practises chemistry - then the Royal Society of Chemistry (http://www.rsc.org) might be able to help.