Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Granddaughter-in-law?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

NetGrrl79

NetGrrl79 Report 31 Jul 2009 12:34

Is there such a term? Have had contact this morning with a lady whose father-in-law's mother was a daughter of one of my paternal grandfather's aunts - so would that make her my paternal grandfather's aunt's granddaughter in law?

Julie

Julie Report 31 Jul 2009 12:36

Sometimes In-Law was used for Step

NetGrrl79

NetGrrl79 Report 31 Jul 2009 12:43

Step-whatever is when you have one blood relative in common (ie same father or mother but not both), In Law is to do with relationships by marriage - ie my father's mother is my mother's mother in law.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 31 Jul 2009 12:43

Well, her father-in-law's mother is her grandmother-in-law so the common "relative" (I'm hesitating to say ancestor here) would be her great grandmother-in-law.

No idea if there is such a term mind. I always refer to my OH's ancestors as "OH's grandfather ... etc" not "my grandfather in law" as it so distant and not a bloodline to me.

My brain now hurts!

Jill

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Jul 2009 12:54

Far as I know, you never use "in-law" more than one generation away - so just brother, sister, son, daughter, father and mother.
But it is the case that in the past a spouse's children by a previous marriage might be called in-law instead of stepchild as they would be now.
(It does not imply one common parent though I think).
Jan

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Jul 2009 12:57

NetGirl - you're right if you're talking about present-day usage only, but if one were talking abt, say pre-WW1 usage, then Julie's perfectly correct. In fact, as Julie phrased her post using the past tense, she's perfectly correct anyways.

AllanC

AllanC Report 31 Jul 2009 13:06

NetGrrl79, your distinction between step- and -in-law relationships is correct as used today. But it has not always been so clear-cut. On older censuses you will often find the term -in-law used for step or adoptive relationships.

As to whether you can use terms like "grandfather-in-law" I don't think they are in common use. In the Family Historian program which automatically gives the relationship of anyone on a tree to the root person it just says "husband of grandmother of ... "

Julie

Julie Report 31 Jul 2009 13:43

NetGrrl79 Today at 12:43 Request review
Step-whatever is when you have one blood relative in common (ie same father or mother but not both), In Law is to do with relationships by marriage - ie my father's mother is my mother's mother in law.

Add

Thank you mgnv

So maybe NetGrrl79 might like to apologizes for her tone & the way she spoke to me

NetGrrl79

NetGrrl79 Report 31 Jul 2009 14:19

I apologise if you thought my message had an unpleasant tone, I did not intend it to have one in the slightest, I was merely stating what I believed to be fact; it appears I was wrong.