Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deaths in1940- 1980

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Aug 2009 15:21

Is it possible to find any info on deaths between 1940 and 1980. I have searched various sites with no results. This is only a general inquiry as I am interested in a few rellies.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Aug 2009 15:24

it is. But its a laborious trawl through each year by the qtr .for instance a ten year trawl on Ancestry would be 40 searches

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Aug 2009 15:33

Maybe it`s me but I can`t find any info of deaths between those dates on Ancestry.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 2 Aug 2009 15:39

You have to click on BMD records and then you get this option.

Deaths

Deaths 1837 – 1915 (transcribed by FreeBMD)

Deaths 1984 - 2005 (transcribed)

Death Indexes 1837 – 1983

Deaths are fully searchable by name and you will find individual matches in Deaths 1837 – 1915 and Deaths 1984 – 2005. However, for deaths between 1916 – 1983 you will need to use the Death Indexes.

Your search result will show the first and last result on the relevant page (image). Once you’ve opened the image you can then scroll down and look for your ancestor yourself on the page.

You need to click on 1837-1983

Christine

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Aug 2009 15:39

Its there . you look on the right to More Collections.click on Births ,Marriages and Deaths and then span down to deaths and the third section is Death Indexes 1837 – 1983.
You then have to search by the year

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Aug 2009 15:43

Thankyou very much it`s easy when you know how!

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Aug 2009 15:49

Thanks again, tried it and it works!