Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sophia Usher - Knaphill Prison, Woking

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 3 Aug 2009 15:05

I have just checked the new Criminal Register on Ancestry and cannot find any details on Sophia Usher. The Sophia from Kent isn't her.

On the 1871 census she appears as a convict at Knaphill Prison. How do I go about getting any details on this? I don't think the prison exists any more, so I don't know whether any records exist. The Blacksheep website seems to be 1881 census only, any by this time Sophia was working in London.

I have also never found any death for her, although she may possibly have remarried.

Any help welcome!

Sue

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Aug 2009 16:35

Hi Blossom how old was Sophia on the 1871, do you have a DOB for her ?

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Aug 2009 16:46

Found the age etc, just wondering if as opposed to 'being convicted' of a crime, she may have been in a 'debtors' part of the prison? don't know if that would maybe go through a lower court, local magistrate perhaps rather than county?

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Aug 2009 16:49

I wonder if this might be her death?

Name: Sophia Usher
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1825
Year of Registration: 1891
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 66
District: St Giles
County: London, Middlesex
Volume: 1b
Page: 397 (click to see others on page)

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 3 Aug 2009 17:18

Hi Rambling Rose,

Sophia was born in 1826 in Bury St Edmunds. No the death in St. Giles isn't her I'm afraid - I've already bought that cert!

Actually, your point about debtors could be right. Sophia's husband died in his 30's and she was left with several children so she could well have owed money.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 3 Aug 2009 18:08

There are prison registers for Woking (assuming this is the same place), at the National Archives, Kew, covering the date you're interested in, under reference PCOM 2/143. It's not online though. You'd have to go there or get someone to go for you.

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 3 Aug 2009 18:47

Thanks very much - I've made a note of that, and will check if I'm ever going that way.

Sue

Patriciaa

Patriciaa Report 7 Aug 2009 00:39

Hi, Blossom, you are indeed correct about the prison in Woking, it doesnt exist now, there are now houses built on it, it was along side the old army houses, they to have been modernised and sold of. The nearest prison to knaphill now is Bisley, good luck with your search, ...... Patricia

Beverley

Beverley Report 29 Aug 2009 05:24

Blossom,
Could I ask you if the Sophia who died in 1891 was the wife of Jonathan?

The Sophia wife of Jonathan lived in Bloomsbury, but curiously was born near Woodbridge .

Beverley

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 2 Sep 2009 10:15

Sorry Beverley - just seen your message. Yes, the Sophia born in Woodbridge was married to Jonathan and I think the death cert I got for St Giles was her. I spent a long time muddling her up with my Sophia. Do you want the cert - I have no need for it.

Sue

Beverley

Beverley Report 5 Sep 2009 08:50

Hi Sue,

Yes, that would be great!
I've also confused these 2 Sophias, Mine is missing from 1861 so have triple checke with yours a few times.

Regards Beverley

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 6 Sep 2009 18:55

Beverley - I have PM'd you.

Sue