Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1st world war info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emmeline

Emmeline Report 4 Aug 2009 21:03

Did soldiers during the 1st world war get leave and if so how often and were they able to return to the uk?
Thanks

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 4 Aug 2009 21:33

In general terms soldiers were given two weeks leave per year, which they were able to return to the UK. But bear in mind the fact of the travel involved, which probably meant they finished with just a week at home.

There were also periods of R&R which would have been spent a few miles back from the front line, but of course only when there was a lull in the fighting, which was not very often.

Hope this helps

George

Emmeline

Emmeline Report 4 Aug 2009 21:38

Thanks for that. Would their leave be mentioned on their army service records? The reason I ask is that my grandfather was born in September 1915. Therefore he would have been concieved around December 1914. According to my greatgrandfather's army service record he was in France at that time!

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 4 Aug 2009 21:42

In most cases their leave would have been recorded on their service records.

George

Emmeline

Emmeline Report 4 Aug 2009 21:47

Thanks for your help.

Emmeline

Emmeline Report 5 Aug 2009 19:51

Thanks for that. The only leave it mentions is 2 weeks in June 1918. It doesn't mention any other leave. Do I therefore assume that he wasn't at home any other time between 1914 and 1918?

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 5 Aug 2009 20:26

Hi Emmeline,

Have just pm,d you and then saw you back on thread, what as his date of birth?

Ann

Emmeline

Emmeline Report 5 Aug 2009 20:49

I've just pm'd you too.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Aug 2009 01:36

was your grandfather born in September or September quarter????

ie, are you basing his birth date on an actual certificate or on birth registration information from freebmd or ancestry.

If the latter (September quarter), then he could actually have been born at any time from the middle of June to the end of September ....... which of course changes the date of conception!

Also, I do believe that many soldiers were actually given embarkation leave before going overseas.

sylvia

Emmeline

Emmeline Report 6 Aug 2009 20:49

Sylvia,
I have just pm'd you.