Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish ancesters?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 6 Aug 2009 20:12

Please could any one advise me? I have found that I have a Scottish line in my family history. It has taken over a year to prove this (as far as I can), but I am now completely stuck.

A young lady by the name of Helen Fletcher from Grangemouth, Scotland, born c1792, married my gt, gt, gt grandfather, Christopher Storry. I have found this couple living with one of their daughters in a few census returns but I would like to find out more about her family history. I have found an IGI entry for a baptism for Helen Fletcher, baptised Aug 19 1792, Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland. Her parents were Richard Fletcher and Elizabeth Aikman. The surname of 'Aikman' fits beautifully with my tree as this name consequently appeared as a middle name for one of their grandchildren - I wondered where that name came from....

What I would love to do is see if I can push the tree back another generation but I can't find Richard & Elizabeth Fletcher in any of the census returns. I would have thought that they would still have been around for the 1841 census although they might not have survived into the 1850's.

Any ideas any one?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Aug 2009 20:42

They may have come from Ireland? Have you checked Scotlands People for the marriage of the parents? There is a marriage in 1791.

Betty

Ann

Ann Report 6 Aug 2009 20:52

I have a note for the marriage of Richard Fletcher & Elizabeth Aikman 22.02.1791, Falkirk, Stirling. This certainly ties in with date and place. I'm not sure where I came by this info though, may well have been fron IGI.

What makes you lean towards an Irish connection? That's never crossed my mind before. Interesting idea!

Ann

Ann Report 6 Aug 2009 21:01

I have just looked on Scotlands People. I remember spending many hours trying to navigate the site. I must be doing something very wrong.....

When I click on 'Search the Records' I am offered a choice of 4 colour-coded boxes.

I click on 'Banns and Marriages 1538-1854' and I am offered a very informative screen but no option to search.

Where am I going wrong? I would have though that it would at least have tried to direct me to a 'subscribe here for only the same price as your mortgage repayments' type of screen?????????

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Aug 2009 21:01

Sorry norfolkdumpling,

I just thought maybe Ireland before searching Scotlands people website, then I found the marriage in 1791 as I said.

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Aug 2009 21:04

Are you searching OPR's Register Banns and marriages??
Marriage is in Falkirk Sterling as you say so you must have searched Scotlands people before for this marriage.

Betty

Ann

Ann Report 6 Aug 2009 21:15

I've just looked on IGI, that must be where I found the entry for Richard & Elizabeth's marriage.

I can't get anywhere on the Scotlands People site. Yes it appears that the words 'OPR Banns and Marriages' like to pop up across the top of the page. How should I use the site?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Aug 2009 21:25

Oh it a long time since I registered on Scotlands People but I think you still have to register first then buy credits etc.
Not sure though as I joined about 5 years ago!!

send me a pm with your email address and I will send you the image. I have alread got some credit and looked it up for you.

Please hurry as I am on my grandson's computer and he want to get to bed and I am in his bedroom. If you are too late in sending your e-mail address then I will send you it tomorrow ok.
Betty