Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where do I start

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rita

Rita Report 7 Aug 2009 21:59

Does anyone have any tips on where I would start to find details of a William Young born about 1855 in the Hull or Humberside region. I obtained his sons marriage certificate which gave me his name but I dont know where to go from there. The problem mainly is that there are so many William Youngs !!! His son is also William Young !!!

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 7 Aug 2009 22:03

The best way is to start looking for him with his wife or children. If you're lucky there may be a more specific place & date of birth.

Ozi

Edit: Sorry, reading this again I didn't make it very clear. Look for the son with wife &/or children. Then follow up in earlier years.

Kate

Kate Report 7 Aug 2009 22:05

You might be able to narrow it down by age - if William junior gave his age in years on his marriage certificate, hopefully you'll be able to spot a William of the right age with his father on the census. Also, if William senior's occupation is noted on the marriage certificate, you might be able to spot them that way.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 7 Aug 2009 22:50

1881 census could be William Jnr

William YOUNG Head M Male 28 Hull, York, England Labourer
Fanny YOUNG Wife M Female 27 Hull, York, England
John W. YOUNG Son Male 4 Hull, York, England Scholar
Thomas YOUNG Son Male 2 Hull, York, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 9 Charlottes Terrace Waterloo Street No
Census Place Sculcoates, York, England
Family History Library Film 1342151
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4763 / 50
Page Number 14

Rita

Rita Report 9 Aug 2009 07:16

Thank you for your help and suggestions. Rita