Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leonard Richmond

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

51year59

51year59 Report 9 Aug 2009 22:33

Can any one help/advise me how to find Leonard Richmond 1733. I think he was born at Sawley, North Yorkshire to William Richmond and Mary Voakes. Tyring to trace his marriage and any other information about him.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Aug 2009 22:41

Husband
LEONARDUS RICHMOND Pedigree

Birth:
Christening:
Marriage: 01 MAR 1714 Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire, England
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife
MARGRETA SHEPHERD Pedigree

Birth:
Christening:
Marriage: 01 MAR 1714 Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire, England
Death:
Burial:

connecton maybe?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Aug 2009 22:41

Leonard Richmond Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 1769 Kirkby Malzeard, Yorkshire, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: Robert Richmond Family
Mother: Elizabeth

51year59

51year59 Report 9 Aug 2009 22:48

Thank you Ann of Green Gables' Its very confusing trying to trace this Leonard as I keep getting two Leonards born to same parents? One born 1733 the other 1750.

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 9 Aug 2009 22:56

maybe a connection?
LEONARD RICHMOND
Christening: 26 NOV 1810 Bishop Wilton, Yorkshire, England

Father: LEONARD RICHMOND
Mother: SARAH

51year59

51year59 Report 9 Aug 2009 23:03

Thank you Selena will try any lead

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 9 Aug 2009 23:09

If you do a parent search on the IGI, (www.familysearch.org), leave first name and surname blank, and just enter Leonard Richmond for father and Sarah for mother, then quite a few children come up.

Also I have heard that occassionally parents would give a child the same name of a previously deceased child so that might cause some confusion. Strange to our modern way of thinking but quite acceptable a 100 years ago.

51year59

51year59 Report 9 Aug 2009 23:12

Thankyou for the information Selena I did not know that. Have found a Leonard Richmond 1750 who married Isabella Wearing maybe then this is the brother. They had a son William Richmond

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2009 23:28

Actually, it used to be very common that parents would give the name of a dead child to one born after his/her death ...... and they could repeat this several times! This was expecially true if it was a family name that they wanted to perpetuate.

I have an example in one of my lines of 4 children born to the same parents but with the same name ............ 3 died, the 4th survived.

I also read once that back in the 13/14/15th centuries it was common to name a child after its godparent ..... in the hope that money and advancement would follow ....... and if a second child in the family had the same godparent, he/she would be given the same name. So you could have 2 living children with the same parents!

Do be careful that nay records you take from familysearch are Extracted records, taken from the actual parish records, not Submitted ones sent in by individuals. There is usually no backup documentation for the latter

sylvia

51year59

51year59 Report 9 Aug 2009 23:34

Thankyou for the advice Slyvia