Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1918 R.N Service Record Question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 10 Aug 2009 12:53

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with a few questions on a relative's R.N service record.

The record is for a Herbert James Deacon born in Worplesdon in 1901 and died at R.N. Stonehouse Hospital Plymouth in 1918.

The "Date and period of Engagment" states 18 March 1919 - 12 years when Herbert died in Sept 1918 at the age of 17. Did his service only begin when he was 18?

His occupation is listed as a "stoker", was this his occupation when he joined up or did he join up to become a stoker?

The ship he served in was "Victory" which i believe was a training center in Portsmouth, he joined "Victory" on the 6th Sept 1918 and died on the 19th Sept 1918, does this mean his total service was 13 days or could he have served in other placed?

My final question is why did he get sent to Stonehouse in Plymouth to died when Portsmouth would have had a decent R.N Hospital, btw he died of Pneumonia.

Sorry for all the questions, Herberts end seems to be so sad.

regards

B Wakefield

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 10 Aug 2009 12:57

The actual record should show the ships he was on. If it only mentions the Victory then it's likely that's the only ship he was on.

If you google Victory training ship you should find some info on it.

I believe if they signed up young - they went off to one of the training ships until they were 18. My grandfather was born 1876, signed up in 1893, but did not start in active service until after the age of 18.

Not sure how long the training period would have been for someone aged 18 at sign up. Probably quite a short period during the war itself.

Jill

Brian

Brian Report 10 Aug 2009 16:04

Thanks Jill

Janice

Janice Report 10 Aug 2009 18:36

CWGC has him serving on HMS Powerful.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=401660

Brian

Brian Report 10 Aug 2009 19:21

Thanks Janice, the record i found at the national archive had him listed only being at "Victory ".

thanks again

Brian

Brian Report 10 Aug 2009 20:49

I've been doing some more digging about HMS Powerful, the ship was a "Boy" training ship based in Devonport.

I've seen records for about 20 boy sailors aged between 17 and 20 who died between Sept and Oct 1918 from what appears to be Spanish flu.

It all sounds very sad.

I'm not sure why Herberts record only showed "Victory" but thanks for everyones help.