Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with TWIN birth records please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RStar

RStar Report 10 Aug 2009 20:36

I have the birth cert of a Robert Markham born 1842 in Brackley, Northants. The time of birth is given on the cert, and the registrars assistant informed me that this was usually only done for multiple births. On subsequent census reports there are no other children in the family born 1842 so he/she may have died prior to 1851. How do I find out if Robert had a twin? He was born disabled, and I think this adds weight to the twin theory, as his mother was a pauper giving birth in an ag labs cottage, it would be very easy for something to go wrong in a multiple birth with little or no medical intervention. (I do know that if the twin was stillborn I cant access the list.)

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 10 Aug 2009 20:48

you might have done this already but look on freebmd for a birth and a death with the same surname in the same quarter, bear in mind the child might not have been named in which case will be Male or Female and the surname

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 10 Aug 2009 20:53

It looks to be Richard Charles. He was registered same quarter on page 200. (Robert was entered on page 199) Can't see any others.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Aug 2009 20:55

I don't see any other Markhams with the same or adjacent page numbers.

Births Dec 1842
Markham Richard Charles Brackley 15 206
Markham Robert Brackley 15 199

There is a Richard Charles but he's 7 pages away.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Aug 2009 21:00

Richard Charles belongs to another family:

1861 England Census
about Richard C Markham
Name: Richard C Markham
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation: Son
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Sophia
Where born: Syresham, Northamptonshire, England
Civil parish: Syresham
County/Island: Northamptonshire
Registration district: Brackley
Sub-registration district: Sulgrave
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 170
Household Members:
Name Age
John Markham 42
Sophia Markham 41
Richard C Markham 18
Hannah M Markham 14
Ann Markham 82
Stephen Bloxham 41
Mary Bloxham 39
Stephen Bloxham 5

Rose

Kate

Kate Report 10 Aug 2009 21:01

It might be an overenthusiastic registrar - I have heard that early certificates often had times of birth on even for single births because the registrars - or parents - thought that every possible bit of information had to be provided. I've got an 1853 birth certificate giving a time of birth that looks like 4.45PM under the date but the baby in question doesn't seem to have had a twin.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2009 21:04

Be careful

Apparently some registrars did put the time of birth on a certificate when it was NOT a twin birth.

They misunderstood the instructions.

Several people on here have posted at various times that they have certificates with the time on, when it most definitely was not a twin birth.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2009 21:04

snap Kate!

RStar

RStar Report 10 Aug 2009 21:09

Oh Lordi I went to do the washing up and have 8 replies. Thankyou everyone.... I did think it was Richard, BUT Robert's mother had a son named Richard already, who died in 1869. Thanks for that census entry Rose, that clarifies it. Kate and Sylvia, you may be right then, it could have been an over enthusiastic registrar! Never mind, I had hoped he'd have a twin. His father died young and Roberts mum remarried but then Robert vanished, and she died in the workhouse. What a life, I hope he was happy though. Helen, thats a good idea about the 'male' and 'female' naming, will have a mooch now.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Aug 2009 21:35

Was Robert's mother Hannah and did she marry a Moss?

Rose

RStar

RStar Report 10 Aug 2009 22:06

Yes, Hannah Seeney married John Markham, then was widdowed and married a Moss.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Aug 2009 22:40

OK, I see Robert in 1871 and then he disappears.

Rose