Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census vs marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James & Michaela

James & Michaela Report 11 Aug 2009 14:01

Hi,

I am having trouble tracing back my family tree as I have no information on my ancestors on my fathers side. I do have my grandfather and grandmother but no details on there marriage or my grandfathers relatives.

I would like to know if you think obtaining a marriage certificate is going to give me more information than a census would.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, James

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Aug 2009 14:04

Well a marriage cert will give ages, as given!(some did tell porkies) .and the fathers names & occuptions I would favour certs over census info .

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 11 Aug 2009 14:10

Certificates will confirm that you are following the correct family on the census.As you can very easily follow the wrong family in the censuses I buy certificates for my direct lines.

Chris

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 11 Aug 2009 14:11

James

Why not put some details on the board and see what people come up with. Census details can help provided they were born prior to 1911. If they were born beyond that date, they will not be on any publically available census.

Michael

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Aug 2009 14:11

Ancestry have all births and marriages from 1837-2005
1911-2005 can be searched using maiden names or partners name.
You should be able to get back to 1911 without certificates and that is where the census comes into play.

James & Michaela

James & Michaela Report 11 Aug 2009 14:19

Thanks to all for your input.

My grandfathers name was Albert Bennett b. 1868 and my grandmothers name was Ellen Washbourne b. 1874 - I have traced her without too much trouble but he is proving rather difficult.

Cheers, James

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 11 Aug 2009 14:39

James

As you say, there is no trace of the marriage at all. The 1901 census does however show four Albert Bennetts with wives named Ellen. They are living in Workington, Cumberland, Tottenham, Middlesex, Dalton, Yorkshire and Preston, Sussex.

Do any of these appear to be your grandparents?

Michael

James & Michaela

James & Michaela Report 11 Aug 2009 14:58

Hi,

I believe they lived around Studley in Warwickshire as this is where my family come from and where Albert was born.

Many thanks for your help.

James

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 11 Aug 2009 15:11

Was it Ellen's 2nd marriage?

Marriages Dec 1906 (>99%)
BENNETT Albert Alcester 6d 1373 Scan available - click to view >>>>>>>>>>
Harris Ellen Alcester 6d 1373 Scan available - click to view >>>>>>>>>>
Tame Emily Maria Alcester 6d 1373 Scan available - click to view
WHATCOTT George Henry Alcester 6d 1373 Scan available - click to view

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 11 Aug 2009 15:12

Marriages Dec 1895 (>99%)
Harris Joseph Alcester 6d 1165 Scan available - click to view
Washbourne Ellen Alcester 6d 1165 Scan available - click to view

James & Michaela

James & Michaela Report 11 Aug 2009 15:20

Yes it was. I have this information from the 1911 census, it is the Bennett side of the family I have no information for.

cheers, James

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 11 Aug 2009 15:27

Hhmmmm...OK - but I think everyone was trying to find a Bennett-Washbourne marriage for you so you could buy the relevant cert. If we had known she was Ellen Harris it would have been quicker!

Never mind - if you buy one or both of the marriage certs they (hopefully) will agree on Albert's father's name and occupation and then you can trace his parents back in the censuses.

Sue

James & Michaela

James & Michaela Report 11 Aug 2009 15:33

Sorry Blossom, new to the family research. Do you think the Marriage certificate would be a better option than the 1881 census?

Cheers, James

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 11 Aug 2009 15:43

I would buy the marriage cert first to ascertain his father's name and occupation. Otherwise if you are faced with 2 or 3 Alberts in the census in the Warwickshire area, you are not going to know which one is yours.

The chances are he is not going to be with his parents in the 1901 census, as he would be in his 30's, but if you check the 1891 and the 1881 you should be able to match him up.

Do you have Albert's birth cert? This will also give you his mother's first name and maiden surname. Then hopefully you will be able to track his parents marriage, and so on backwards.

Sue

Merlin38

Merlin38 Report 11 Aug 2009 15:45

Can't find any Albert Bennett birth registrations for 1868 on Free BMD, but wonder if this is him:

Albert Edward Bennett. Registered December quarter 1870 Alcester 6d 548

David