Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Ely Children's Home' Admission Records - Cardiff

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 11 Aug 2009 22:06

Hello All,
Has anyone been successful in obtaining admission records for 'The Ely Children's Home, Cardiff' who can provide advice.
Many thanks
Paul

mamiddau

mamiddau Report 11 Aug 2009 22:53

Hi, I haven't, but children would have been placed there by social services. If someone wants to access their own record they would need to contact the department that placed them there - ie, Cardiff County Council. and request they be able to view their file. Hope this helps.

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 11 Aug 2009 23:19

Hello Mamidau,
Thanks for your reply. The problem is that the records relate to my uncles and aunts who were placed in care in the mid 40's as children, on the death of their mother.

I have traced 3 out of a total of 5 using the 'Death Search Indexes' on Ancestry and then confirming it was them by ordering the death certificates.

The children appeared to go their separate ways as they were discharged from the Home. Sadly, only a few years ago one of them was buried at the councils expense since they could not find a next of kin. Yet his brother only lived a few miles from him. It does appear from what I have found out about the 3 that they drifted apart as a result of being placed in care.

I would very much like a chance of finding the last two before they too pass on.

Bye
Paul

Netty

Netty Report 12 Aug 2009 00:46

Hi Paul, don't know if this will help much in your search but it might be worth contacting the archives.

Records relating to the Ely Hospital, Cardiff including reports, 1906-1975; administrative records, 1932-1949; financial records, 1945-1970; patients records, 1906-1993

http://tinyurl.com/qgr3z3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Aug 2009 03:55

just for the record in case you donlt know, Ely Hospital was demolished about eight/nine years ago

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 12 Aug 2009 17:41

Hello Netty & Anne of Green Gables,
Thanks very much for your input which is much appreciated. Glamorgan Records Office have the Admissions Books but I am having a devil of a job trying to gain permission to view them and constantly come up against "The Data Protection Act" . This is why I am interested in knowing if anyone has successfully gained access to any Ely Children's Home records held at the Glamorgan Records Office, Cardiff.
Many thanks
Paul

Sheila

Sheila Report 12 Aug 2009 20:19

If you have the names of the other two have you checked the elec roll it may be they are still living, also have you found marriages for them ?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Aug 2009 21:12

Some local newspapers have a.. 'Where are they now?' section or would publish a brief letter asking for their whereabouts.

You could put a liitle information about siblings, enough to identify them, but perhaps say known to live in Ely area of Cardiff around ( whatever date ), rather than say they were in the Home, which might be a sensitive issue?

Gwyn

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 12 Aug 2009 22:37

Hello Sheila & Gwyn,
Unfortunately the surname is as common as Jones and and so is extremely difficult to trace. For the male I have not found a death with a date of birth that matches and for the female names change as they marry.

Gwyn,
It is quite a sensitive issue and I would rather not pursue that line although I would admit that in many cases it would be a good way to go.
Thanking you both for your time and efforts.
Paul