Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BILL OF SALE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacki

Jacki Report 12 Aug 2009 10:36

Hello, please can someone point me in the right direction, one of my grtb grt granpa's and the family lived and worked @stokehall farm.goin by his will he left everything to his wife mary and his sons.Though i know they didnt actually own stokehall they did make a living from it..
so from this will i gather his wife and kids still living there. but now i found mary living with son joseph on his farm.. can you tell me if there is a billof sale or end of tennancy that i can find? or what happened to them tht they had to move?

thank you
jacki

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2009 14:09

Jack, it might be an idea to ask at the local or county archive if Estate records had been lodged.

As you haven't put an area in your post, you could do an internet search for Archives + (the county or area)

Jacki

Jacki Report 12 Aug 2009 16:05

Hello DET,
stokehall was in cheshire. which place should i try first??/
thnx for yr help
jacki

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2009 18:03

In my Browser bar, I put in Stokehall, Cheshire and got a page of results. One of them was from www.geograph.org.uk/photo/381645 which gave a very good picture of Stoke Hall Farm, but probably not the version you are referring to.

Stoke Hall Farm, near Barbridge
Stoke Hall Farm was presumably once the home farm for Stoke Hall, which stands to the south west (not visible). The red-brick farmhouse (left) with timber detail on the gables and its adjacent large red-brick barn with circular windows (centre right) are typical of larger farms in this area. The public footpath (right) runs to the right of the farm track. View from Stokehall Lane

OK, not what you were looking for but gives us a clue.

Cheshire Archives has this site
http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recoff/

They have a ‘Contact Us’ link on the opening page. I’m guessing that Stokefarm was part of the Estate of Stoke Hall. Ask the Archives if they have any info about or where the Estate Papers are.

An alternative might be Crewe Library which on the map seems the closest large town and has a FH section.

Crewe Library
01270 375295
Fax: 01270 375293
[email protected]

There is also
Nantwich Library
01270 375361
Fax: 01270 375364
[email protected]
Which although a smaller town also has a FH section.

It’s always worth ‘googling’ a place to see what turns up, or looking for the area on an internet map. Then you can put Library or Archives and the place name in the browser/search bar and see where that leads you.

Good Luck

Jacki

Jacki Report 13 Aug 2009 18:44

Evening DET,
oh my you have given me lots togo by.. idid goole when someone on here told me he had left a will.. that was a big suprise..so i did a lilttle hunting and I have two lovely pictures of stokehall farm.. i cant rmember now who owned it or rented it out to my grt grt willy. but i hear it is now flats .. which is such a shame.. and how strange i guess because my family lived and worked there i felt a little bit sad that they have made flats.. but sign of the times i guess.
i shall have to re read over and take down all the info u have so kindly given to me...
i will be bk in contact.
jaki
oh sorry thnx again.hehe

Jacki

Jacki Report 22 Aug 2009 19:55

havent had much luck as yet..but will find time again tomoro.thnx
jacki

Jacki

Jacki Report 6 Sep 2009 20:40

jus a catch up still havent had much luck i did email the archives but yet again i have had no responce i guess there are realy busy.. any one got any more ideas where or how i can find this info?
thnking you in advance
jacki

Rachael

Rachael Report 6 Sep 2009 20:59

Hi Jacki,

May not be able to help on research, but I do live in Cheshire, so if you want me to visit the local council or area then send me a message privately and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Regards
Rachael

Jacki

Jacki Report 6 Sep 2009 21:36

thats realy sweet of you Rachel.. hw do i email you privately? mmm do i clikck on yr name?? will give it ago
thnx so much

Jacki

Jacki Report 6 Sep 2009 21:50

hello again Rachael,

i have sent u a message had brain freeze for a mo. haha

thnx again
jacki