Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Commuting a death sentence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katherine

Katherine Report 12 Aug 2009 14:50

My ancestor Matilda Rider (aka Ann Matilda Ryder b. 1863) was sentenced to death at the Old Bailey, London on 21/5/1884 for the murder of her infant daughter, Florence May Rider on 25/3/1884, but I cannot find a death record for Ann or Matilda Rider/Ryder after June q. 1884. At the time of the murder, she was 8 months pregnant and would have had the child by the time of her trial. Can anyone enlighten me as to what could have happened, what documents are likely to exist and where should I start looking? -thanks Kate

K

K Report 12 Aug 2009 16:43

She is listed on 1891 census as convict

Having read the newspaper reports and Old Bailey transcript I think she was reprieved.

See http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/

Katherine

Katherine Report 17 Aug 2009 23:05

I've been advised that I haven't been responding appropriately and that instead of responding directly to the person who posted a response by clicking on their name and sending them a personal message, that I should be thanking and acknowledging people publicly in the thread. So, sorry for that lapse in etiquette and for the irritation and annoyance that this has caused. That was not my intent. I very much value all the responses that I have received.

I am posting this message on all my threads.

Kate

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Aug 2009 01:47

Katherine, don't worry about getting it wrong, we all have things to learn.

I want to know if your Matilda was reprieved!

Love

Margaret