Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone a tip for me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bartrum

bartrum Report 12 Aug 2009 15:33

My g g Grandfather lived in Upwell, Cambs and married a local girl in 1851. Their 1st child born in 1854 died in 1860. They also had 4 more children all born in Upwell,Cambs. The last one being a girl born in 1861.

I need a tip to help me solve a problem with this part of my family after this, as I am stuck and dont know where to turn to try to find this out. After 18/08/1861 and before 1864 they moved from Upwell to Ashton Under Lyme in Lancashire. In 1864 the girl born in 1861 died. The death was registered in Ashton Under Lyme. They then had another child born in 1864 registered in Ashton under Lyme and a month after she was born the wife and mother died. In 1865 my G G Grandfather married a workhouse girl who had a son, the marriage was registered in Aston under Lyme. But by the 1871 census he was living back in Upwell, Cambs. His new wifes child was left in the workhouse.

Can anybody shed some light on how I can go about searching for info as to why the family should make this long journey from Cambs to Lancs and then back again in the space of 8 to 10 years. It seems to me as if it was his first wife that wanted to go, otherwise if it had have been him, after she had died and he had remarried why did they make the long journey back.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Potty

Potty Report 12 Aug 2009 15:43

Did he change his occupation when he moved? A lot of people moved from the country to the big towns for work at that time. Did all the children make the move(s) with him? Possible he moved back to Cambs to be near family to help with the children.

bartrum

bartrum Report 12 Aug 2009 15:55

There was no occupation change and I assume the whole family moved, If not the youngest one definately went with them and so did the eldest because he witnessed his dads 2nd marriage . I did wonder if it was illness that made them move but they would have had to have paid for treatment then anyway so I dont think this was the case. I can understand him moving back to be with his family but what about his new wifes family, she was a twin. Plus she left her own son in the workhouse. It must have cost them money to travel that distance and maybe they did it with a sick child and a pregnant sick mother. Not to mention carrying all there belongings too.