Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hyde Park Barracks - Trooper Jesse Mills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 13:14

Hi

Jesse Mills (b abt 1853 in Halling, Kent) listed in 1871 census as a Trooper at Hyde Park Barracks, St George Hanover Square. Wondered if there is a way of finding out about whether he served active duty. Also then not sure what happens to him after that - although his death is possibly in 1910 age 57 - have just ordered this certificate.

Alli

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 13:41

Thanks both.

Corinne - interesting - yes I suppose that could be him. I have just traced his wife Amy on the 1881 census to "Cavalry Barracks" as Soldier's Wife but he is not listed - so presume he must have been posted somewhere and that is a possibility. Will have to do some tracing of what might have been happening in US at that time for him to be posted there - my history is pretty sketchy.

By 1891 he is a Police Constable .

Many thanks for your help
Alli

Heather

Heather Report 13 Aug 2009 13:43

You could possibly find his service record at Kew. I got my OH's GGF's records - he was a sergeant in the Scottish Guards at Westminster Barracks. Very interesting stuff, detailed minor things like an accident hed had whilst valuting a horse in the gym at barracks (Id never thought of gyms in Victorian times!)

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 13:49

Thanks Corinne - I already had the earlier record living with parents. On thinking about it, don't think that could be him in US as it lists him as single in 1880 and by that time he already had two children, Mary and George.

Would be really interested in getting the record from Kew, Heather. How do I contact them?

Heather

Heather Report 13 Aug 2009 14:01

Well, youd need to find his regiment really - so check on the 1871 - go back to the first page for the barracks and it should give the regiment.

If you cant get to Kew or know someone who is going, then I used a brilliant chap who doesnt charge that much and is an expert.

Ill pm you. He has been used by dozens of us on here.

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 14:12

1901 census

Can anyone read his occupation?

Appears to be the same as the man above him - but both are unreadable - lol

Looks like campion or camjam (obviously not!)

Thanks

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 14:20

Thanks Corinne - you've been really helpful. I'll leave the occupation for now....perhaps it will come to me. I don't really get carman from that...but then I don't get anything much! lol

Choccy

Choccy Report 13 Aug 2009 14:54

not clear whether you have him in 1881 -

1881 England Census
Name: Jessie Mills
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Where born: Snodland, Kent, England

Civil parish: New Windsor
County/Island: Berkshire

Street Address: "Cavalry Barracks"
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Windsor
Sub-registration district: Windsor
ED, institution, or vessel: Cavalry Barracks
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William Charlton 22
Frederic Guiness 22
Susan Barnes 21
Catherine Balejahn 18
Charles Burgess 24
Keith Fraser 48
Charles W. Duncombe 41
Simon (Sir) Lockhart 32
John E. P. Spicer 30
Reginald C. Turner 30
Algernon F. E. Smith 23
Arthur W. (Hon) Hill Trevor 28
Charles N. Miles 26
Henry V. Higgins 25
John Weyland 25
Henry G. Leigh 24
Gordon Carter 27
George L. Holford 20
Henry F. Hensman 41
William Stephens 57
Robert Windeatt 21
John Mc Kinley 27
James Mace 22
Joseph Midgley 25
Frank Martin 20
Edward Nagle 21
Herbert Newport 25
George Prowse 38
Walter Rendell 22
Thomas Richardson 22
Thomas Rundle 20
George Sharp 20
Angus Slater 37
James Scanlan 21
William Swallow 21
Robert Whitehead 24
George Cagill 30
William C. Chapman 26
John H. Conran 20
Joseph Chaston 22
David Dunne 28
William Dickinson 27
Ernest Dean 20
Herbert Evans 19
George Edwards 35
James Gregory 19
Henry Horner 22
Charles Harris 27
Joseph Jassie 21
George Morgan 18
Joseph Maybank 24
James Jordan 36
Thomas Donnelley 30
William Wightman 24
James A. Park 29
Wm. Main 30
James Barron 25
Henry Boxall 24
James Bracken 38
Henry Smith 20
George Roberts 26
John Tubby 28
Richard Shaw 37
Reuben Mason 18
Ebenezer Garner 23
Thomas Fenwick 22
************************Jessie Mills 28
Leonard Gibson 23
David Poyle 20
John Vaugham 20
David Weir 29
William Howe 44
Robert Harrey 33
William Tuck 24
George Gillham 21
Walter Manning 26
John Lavan 23
Thomas Taylor 28
George Moss 25
George Clark 18
Arthur Dick 23
Horace Marshall 21
James Procter 25
Gustavus Bosher 25
William Walker 35
William Curtis 34
William Rose 34
Charles Farrow 40
James Easton 40
Frank Nichelson 22
Frederick Fleming 23
Charles Hazzard 21

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 15:03

Thanks Choccy!!

I hadn't found that at all and that's why I thought he was away. I found his wife listed separately as soldier's wife in the cavalry barracks but hadn't been able to find him. Tried to elude me, but thank goodness for Genes Reunited!! I would have been on a wild goose chase.

Alli

Heather

Heather Report 13 Aug 2009 15:35

1901 is definitely carman, same as the bloke next door.

Heather

Heather Report 13 Aug 2009 15:38

Page 1 of the barracks census gives:

Keith Fraser, Colonel,

First Lifeguards

Thats your blokes regiment at that time.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishcavalry/1stlifeguards.htm

Your bloke was probably involved in this campaign:

The Egyptian War of 1881-2 was to provide the next overseas action for the Household Cavalry regiment. Again, the force was raised from the three household cavalry regiments. In actual fact, Adjutant General Wolseley was against the inclusion of the big horses of the Household Cavalry regiment. Queen Victoria herself had to specially request the inclusion of this regiment in the expeditionary force being sent to deal with Arabi Pasha. As it stands, this campaign was actually the last time that the British Army ever made a distinction between heavy and light cavalry.

The brigade was in action almost immediately upon landing in Egypt. Kassassin Lock was being defended by 2000 troops but coming under intense pressure from Arabi Pasha's forces. The Household Cavalry, the 7th Hussars and the Royal Horse Artillery had to quickly cover the 4 miles to the site of the battle and swing immediately into action. This was despite the fact that night had already fallen. Undeterred, the Household Cavalry swept around the left flank of Arabi Pasha in bright moonlight. They received devastating fire, but still proceeded with their 'moonlight charge'. This was so successful that they cut their way through the Egyptian infantry to reach a battery of guns behind them.

They could and did change regiments if they had a skill or whatever that was needed elsewhere.

Read on the army site:

http://www.army.mod.uk/armoured/regiments/1627.aspx

These paintings/prints may be of interest:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:IBMijVC7hLoJ:www.regimental-art.com/1st_life_guards.htm+First+Lifeguards&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a