Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Living together - not married

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 15:07

I have just come across a 1911 census where the husband has moved in with his daughter, and the wife appears to be living "as wife" with someone else. (Well I never!!)

How would I put this on the family tree?

Thanks

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 13 Aug 2009 15:09

Scandal! What fun.

My family tree maker programme allows me to enter couples as 'partners' rather than husband and wife. We have a few 'living in sin'!

Janet

Allison

Allison Report 13 Aug 2009 15:12

My goodness Janet - "a few" - what kind of a family do you come from?? lol

Thanks - I'll have a look and see if it will let me add as partners

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 13 Aug 2009 16:02

You don't want to know 'em.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 14 Aug 2009 01:24

Jantell, don't worry, I have plenty living over the brush. And were all okay people. Some lived over the vaccuum cleaner too (i.e. in later years).

Margaret

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 14 Aug 2009 08:02

Your mention of a vacuum cleaner reminded me of something. I was about 10 and in a street near to us there was a 'house of ill repute'. My mum had a fascination for this house and one day when we went past, the front door was open and there stood an upright hoover. As soon as we got home Mum announced to the family that we had just passed THAT house and they even had a vacuum cleaner! Roars of laughter from the others. Mum never did see the joke. It was years before I realised what they were laughing about.