Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SECOND MARRIAGE SURNAME SEARCH

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 14 Aug 2009 10:22

Hi,
My Uncle married in June 1935 and then unexpectedly died a few mnths later after marrying. I am now in the process of trying to find out what happened to his wife after he died. I have searched in the marriages but cannot find any remarriage for this woman under her maiden name or her married name (of my Uncle) yet I have been told she did remarry and had a son.
I ordered the marriage cert of my Uncle, so I know now this ladies maiden name but I'm not really sure where do I go from here.
Her maiden name was Violet Morley (my Uncles surname was Scannell) and I have found her on the 1911 census so I know she was born in 1911. Any suggestions how I find out who she remarried. Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Aug 2009 10:38

There isnt any marriages listed for the area she was married to Hugh .,so seems likely she didnt remarry.there is on birth coming up for Scannell mmn Morley in 1943 but its Derbyshire. Do you have idea of her movements after she lost her husband
I suppose as it was WW2 she may have moved to Derbyshire to get away from the bombing??
Am thinking b1911 the 1949 and 1954 marriages may be a little late for her to have a son born
do you want the GRO ref for that birth of 1943

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 14 Aug 2009 10:49

There is this one

3rd Q 1949-Pontypridd Glam Reg District
Violet SCANNELL
Eric F. FROST

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Aug 2009 10:54

This is her first marriage
Name: Hugh Scannell
Spouse Surname: Morley
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1935
Registration district: West Ham
Registration county (inferred): Essex
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 354
spouse Violet Morley

Jackie

Jackie Report 16 Aug 2009 06:13

Hi, thank you all for getting back to my question.
In regards to your question Shirley about knowing Violets movements after she lost my Uncle, I have no idea. I have only just found out that she even existed last week so I really have no idea what happened to her after 1935.
One question I am curious about is , what site or area did everybody you all go to , to be able to see a Violet Scannells remarriage ?
As I looked up on FreeBMD but couldn't see any remarriage for a Violet Scannell. I saw a marriage after 1935 for a Violet Morley for 1942 and 1944 but not the marriages that u all have mentioned to me so obviously I am doing something wrong or not looking in the right places. ( as u can tell I am fairly inexperienced at this and alot of the times its just a hit and miss for me to find what I want as I am not sure of going to the right places).
Would really appreciate some guidance and pointers with all this !! :)
I am wondering if Elizabeth's marriage details may be the one.
Thank you all once again for your time and effort to help me with my original question, much appreciated.
P.S..
Thanks Shirley for the marriage info for "Hugh Scannell and Violet ", but I actually did find that out intially last wk by myself (which was a huge achievement for me !!!)

Jackie

Jackie

Jackie Report 16 Aug 2009 10:27

Thanks for that info Jonesey.
Would using findmypast be anymore beneficial as I have just recently subscribed to that site last wk but to look thru EACH qtr of EVERY yr after 1935 for this remarriage on Violet , I thought i must be doing something wrong as it got so time consuming (and yes I know searching family trees is a time consuming hobby but i just thought I must be doing something wrong in regards to searching the marriage records) .
Another thing I found was that sometimes the surname that i had keyed in wasnt even on the scanned marriage file which was frustrating as by the time the scanned registration loaded up for that particular qtr, there was no mention of the surname that i had keyed in on it at all . Any reason for that or does that just happen?

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Aug 2009 20:17

Jackie

On Findmypast you have to examine every quarter, whereas on Ancestry it will search for you and pull up likely events.

Margaret

Jackie

Jackie Report 18 Aug 2009 11:27

Thanks Margaret, I was unaware of how Ancestery works.