Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name change

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anthony

Anthony Report 14 Aug 2009 21:00

I believe a relative changed their name, probably sometime in the 1940s. I'm going to start by guessing it was by deed poll. Are there any records I can check? Preferably online.

Many thanks

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 14 Aug 2009 21:26

You can try this website , but bear in mind that changing name by deed poll cost money and most people didn't bother! You can call yourself whatever you like, really.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Aug 2009 22:00

You used to see a lot of little adverts in the personal columns of newspapers saying basically so-and-so would now be known as such-and-such

this was perfectly legal and acceptable

others just changed their names without telling anyone about it. Thta is also legal and acceptable, as long as it is not being done for nefarious purposes!

sylvia

Anthony

Anthony Report 14 Aug 2009 23:08

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at the London Gazette and do a search.

Tony

Anthony

Anthony Report 15 Aug 2009 12:44

Alas nothing from the London Gazette but I recommend that anyone has a look. Lots of information - if you're lucky.