Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

abreviated name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 15 Aug 2009 22:42

Hi I'm new to this scene so will be using this board quite alot for support.
I had an old aunt who was known as aunt Lina, does anybody have a clue as to what that name was short for?

Barbara

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Aug 2009 22:45

Probably Selina.

Kath. x

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 15 Aug 2009 22:48

Barbara

Family nicknames can mean almost anything and are often unrelated to a proper name. The easiest way to check provided you know the mothers maiden name and also have access to Ancestry.

Under the births index, enter the fathers surname only and also the mothers maiden surname. A list of their children should appear and you can probably work out your aunts name from the list.

The only problem you may encounter if the surmanes are poplular ones like Smith.

Michael

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Aug 2009 22:50

From search trees.
Forename variants
lena Lina lin liana lian lino linn linnea linna lyna liona

Barbara

Barbara Report 15 Aug 2009 22:56

thanks to both of you, the surname is not a common one so I shall now try Ancestry.

Barbara

Angela

Angela Report 16 Aug 2009 08:13

Adelina is quite possible

Angela

Beejay

Beejay Report 16 Aug 2009 09:10

My grandmother was Eleanor and Grandad always called her Lina

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Aug 2009 09:34

Barbara, what year was she born in? If you know this -however roughly -and the location, you can just put in surname and look at what turns up,
If she was born before about 1930 freebmd might have the birth.
Jan