Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sue

sue Report 15 Aug 2009 22:46

Hi I wonder if someone can advise me how to do my tree.
My Mum had two sister who were adopted and so their surname changed. How do I put them on to my tree.

Thanks Sue

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Aug 2009 22:55

I have such an entry in my tree.
I always use the birth surname and enter the change in the notes.

sue

sue Report 15 Aug 2009 23:00

Thanks Jim

That is what I thought about doing.

Sue

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 16 Aug 2009 09:43

Sue, I asked GR that question and was advised to have two trees!!?? I don't.

On Ancestry I entered the person in under the birth name with the birth parents. I then entered the same person under their adopted name with their adopted parents. I have written notes to explain what I have done and placed a story about the adoption in the person's records.
If you are working in Ancestry you need to add the person twice. I found myself in an awful pickle trying to just change the name for each entry. In the end I had to delete the records and start again.

In my case the adoptive and birth families both appear in my tree. I tried all sorts of different combinations none of which worked, but so far this seems to be OK.