Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker 2006

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 18 Aug 2009 17:23

i have a family tree maker 2006 but its not connected to the internet at all... could someone tell me if my computor was to
go down or get viris's would i lose my tree ...
sorry but not very computor savvy
also can i put my tree on to a memory stick ..or does that mean i have to have it on the internet first .....
thanks Hazelx

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 18 Aug 2009 17:45

Hello Hazel.

Putting your tree on a memory stick for backup is a good idea incase of computer failure etc. You dont need to have it on the internet as the file is saved on your computer.
Virus are unlike to directly attack your tree, but could prevent you accessing your computer or cause other problems.

From FTM, if you go to File>Export File>Entire File> find your memory stick, give your file a meaningful name and export either as GEDCOM or FTW file type.

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 18 Aug 2009 17:57

Keith ,
thank you very much ,
i will try that and see how i get on ..lol..
Thanks Hazelx

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Aug 2009 17:57

We save ours to cd, actually 2 copies, one at our house, one at son's house. Just in case house burns down!

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 19 Aug 2009 22:25

Hi all, I too have FTM 2006 and have successfully secured all my family tree data onto a cd, I let my Grandchildren borrow the cd to have a look at their family history on their computer but unfortunately it didn't/wouldn't work on their pc, I'll admit I'm not too hot regarding pc jargon and I wondered perhaps if there is anyone on here who could point me in the right direction as to what I can do to rectify the problem, most grateful for any help, many thanks. Craftlady

Neil

Neil Report 19 Aug 2009 22:37

Craftlady - the easiest way is to export your tree as a GEDCOM file. This can then be viewed in any Family Tree program. You can then download & install a free one on grandchildrens pc (Something like PAF from the LDS website) and they will be able to read the information using that.

Craftlady

Craftlady Report 19 Aug 2009 23:22

Hi Neil, thanx for your prompt reply with info, I'll give that a go, probably get it wrong tho' I usually do! But hey ho I'll get there somehow! Many thanx again, Craftlady