Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merchant sailor or navy sailor?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 21 Aug 2009 09:44

On the 1901 census my great grandfather’s occupation is listed as sailor. What I’m wondering now is, if he was in the navy would it say this on the census? or with it saying just the word sailor should I presume that he was a merchant sailor?

Michelle x

Michelle

Michelle Report 21 Aug 2009 10:35

Thanks jonesey x

AllanC

AllanC Report 21 Aug 2009 10:45

My feeling is that he was probably in the Merchant Navy. How a person's occupation is described is very much up to the individual. I could accurately describe myself at one stage in my career in three different ways - by professional qualification, field of work or employer's business. Unless your g-g'father was retired or happened to be home on leave on census night I would have thought he would have been included in the census under vessels (in port or at sea) had he been in the Royal Navy. I think there was more likelihood of a merchant seaman being at home for longer periods between voyages.
But I'm only guessing.
By the way, where was he - near the coast or well inland?

Michelle

Michelle Report 21 Aug 2009 10:58

AllanC- he was in Liverpool. I guess the only way I'm going to know for sure is to do some more digging.

Michelle x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Aug 2009 11:26

How is great grandfather's occupation defined on his child ( your grandparent's) marriage certificate?

Gwyn

Michelle

Michelle Report 21 Aug 2009 11:50

gwyn- it just says Sailor, the same as on the 1901 census.

Michelle x

Thelma

Thelma Report 21 Aug 2009 12:42

My father in law was from a long line of merchant seamen.
They are rarely described the same on records.
I have looked through census and bmds and only found one "sailor"
Edward Turpin Frances abt 1812 Plymouth Head St Mary, Hampshire
He varies between mariner,seaman and sailor,on a son's birth cert.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Aug 2009 15:47

What was his name and where and when was he born?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Aug 2009 17:12

If he was in the Royal Navy then you might find his record on the National Archive site. They have downloaded all of them for this time period:

Search and download the service registers of seamen who joined the Royal Navy between 1873 and 1923 on DocumentsOnline. A fee of £3.50 is charged to download a digital copy of a seaman's register.

This is the link: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/military/navy/rnstep10.htm

If he's on there it should be worth the £3.50 fee - you can see all the ships he was on plus they give a physical description as well - including scars and tattoos.

If he joined before 1873 then it would mean a visit to Kew.

Jill

AllanC

AllanC Report 21 Aug 2009 17:21

Liverpool suggests a merchant seaman; it was one of Britain's busiest ports at that time.

Michelle

Michelle Report 22 Aug 2009 10:40

Was plain ann- his name was George McCulloch born- Liverpool, 1880 give or take a year.

Michelle x

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Aug 2009 16:15

He doesn't appear to be on the documentsonline site for those in the Royal Navy so perhaps he was a merchant seaman. Fairly difficult to find records for this period. Have a look at the Research Guides on the National Archives website about Merchant Navy records.

DaveatHove

DaveatHove Report 25 Aug 2009 10:55

Hi Just spotted your queries. I am going to Kew at the end of next week and will have a look for him in the Merchant Navy microfiche records. He may not be there as a lot of records from this period were destroyed. It won't take long to look. I will email you one way or the other.

David