Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you think a man could go from Brass Moulder to

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2009 17:56

a Railway Engine Driver?

My chap (if right one) seems to have been a Engine Driver in Wellingborough in 1881, then Brass Moulder in 1882 in Sheffield, then Engine driver in 1891 in Bradford.

What do you think?

Have I mixed two chaps up?

Any views appreciated, Kate xxx

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Aug 2009 18:03

Well, he could of course. The only doubt in my mind is that he went backwards and forwards, and both jobs have considerable skill so it seems a bit odd. But people do what they have to don't they!
What other info makes you think it is the same man?
Put details on here as usual if you want anyone to take a look.
Jan

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Aug 2009 18:14

You can search the 1881 by occupation
brass moulders in Sheffield
Edward Kane John,
Bridget abt 1866 Son Sheffield, Yorkshire
View Record
John Mc Genty Sarah A. abt 1847 Manchester, Lancashire, England Head Sheffield, Yorkshire
View Record
Frederick Priselton abt 1850 Birmingham Lodger Sheffield, Yorkshire
View Record
Frank Ramsden Annie abt 1850 Lancashire, England Head Sheffield, Yorkshire
View Record
Michel Ryan Bridget abt 1859 Sheffield Head Sheffield, Yorkshire

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2009 18:23

Thanks. Ok - here goes:

I am looking for Kate Ormond (Almond) Salt. I have her birth certificate and she was born in Wombwell, Sheffield in 1882 to John Thomas Salt and Annie Eliza Salt (Wright). He was a Brass Moulder. She registered birth.

I found a John Thomas Salt & Annie Eliza Wright marriage in Sheffield in 1878.

However - census wise. I cannot find Kate in 1891 or 1901. Tried Kate, Catherine (as she refers to herself in 1911), katherine, Kathryn, Katie, Katy, Almond, Ormand. Not a sign. Just one Pauper Kate Salt in 1901. She did have a baby around then - illegitimately. William Salt - 1911 says 9 years old born in Owestry but there is a birth for a William Salt in Owestry in 1900 - so would make him 11.

I have found a family in 1881, 1891 & 1901 - John Salt and Annie Salt with children Frederick J, Bertha & Herbert.

1881: living in Wellingborough - 11,9 & 6 yrs old. Eldest born Birmingham (parents give also as place of birth for them). Other 2 born in Wellingborough. Father is Engine Driver

1891: 20, 19, 16 Living in Bradford. Engine Driver.

1901: Living in Bradford. 30 Fred, 29 Bertha now married - Lingard. Still Engine driver.

Any ideas - seems like two different families but where on earth is my Kate?

Kate xxx

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Aug 2009 18:31

When do you next have Kate? Assume you have reason to believe she survived?
Jan

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2009 18:41

Hi - I have Kate in 1882 being born - Kate Ormond Salt and then in 1911 - married (1905) - Kate Almond Salt with son William and some other children. She gives her father as John Thomas Salt ( deceased) on marriage certificate. Her age works too. Father is was Engine Driver and they were married in Flintshire. Starkey was new married name. She calls herself Catherine Almond Salt on marriage cert.

It's all so confusing.

Kate

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Aug 2009 19:17

I'm stumped - regardless of father, where on earth is she on census reports? This Ormond/Almond name must be a clue, but what?
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Aug 2009 19:23

Just to make you despair, there is this marriage too:

Marriages Jun 1873 (>99%)
DAVIES Jane Chorlton 8c 840
DEWICK John Chorlton 8c 840
ROBERTS Emma Chorlton 8c 840
Salt John Thomas Chorlton 8c 840

Have you got her birth cert? Have missed it if you have.

Jan

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Aug 2009 19:28

As above - yes - have birth certificate - definately mother Annie Eliza Wright and father John Thomas Salt. It's a dogs dinner. XX

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Aug 2009 00:07

This is really mad. One starts thinking more and more wild things - maybe they lived in Scotland for a bit, maybe they changed their name (this actually happened to a family I was researching).

The only other question is - who are witnesses on marriage cert?

Might this do

Name: Elsie Kate Pepper
Birth: abt 1883 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Residence: 1891 - Battersea, London, England

Ho ho.

Jan