Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage certificate and birth certificate do not

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Aug 2009 15:33

I have the marriage certificate of my g grandparents (1892). My g grandmother Winifred Alice Silvey has a father Edward Silvey on the marriage certificate. I ordered what looked to be the only Winifred Alice Silvey birth certificate (1862) that I can find and there is no father listed and just a mother - Hannah Silvey. Do I have the wrong birth certificate, is it possible the father was missed off? The marriage certificate is definitely correct. Neither Hannah nor Edward appear in census records.
I am confused, can anyone help me?
Thanks
Sarah

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 24 Aug 2009 15:36

Perhaps Winifred invented a father Edward to save face.
What is Edwards occupation on the marriage cert?

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Aug 2009 15:43

It says clerk.
That's a possiblity, interesting....

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 24 Aug 2009 15:50

Have you looked for a marriage for Hannah Silvey?

Kate

Kate Report 24 Aug 2009 15:52

Is it possible - I've seen this "mix and match" thing before - that Hannah Silvey married an Edward after Winifred's birth and when Winifred was asked for her father's name when she married she gave a stepfather's name and the clergyman or registrar assumed that because Winifred was called Silvey her "father" was too?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 24 Aug 2009 15:53

Or a marriage for an Anna Silvey. The spelling of Hannah is quite fluid.

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Aug 2009 15:56

Thanks
I found a marriage for a Hannah Silvey 2 years after Winifred was born and haven't received this yet.
The stepfather idea is a good one, maybe this marriage certificate will have an Edward on it and all will be clear!
Will check Anna instead of Hannah on the census records, thanks.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 24 Aug 2009 15:59

Hannah Silvey 1864 dec qt Islington gro ref 1b 554.
Only 1 male name and 2 female
Hannah is 25 in 1861.

Look for a Hannah born 1836 after 1861 census with husband Edward

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Aug 2009 16:02

sorry, what do you mean "only one male and 2 female?"

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 24 Aug 2009 16:10

The marriage in 1864, Same page is William Verry and Elizabeth Borkwood. and Hannah Silvey

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Aug 2009 16:23

It just means that only one of the male names has been transcribed.

Kath. x

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 24 Aug 2009 16:27

You say

"The marriage certificate is definitely correct"

Playing devils advocate.....

On what information in the certificate have you decided that it is correct? Witnesses being family members?

You may have to trace the witness family members backwards and forwards to establish a connection.

Chris

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 Aug 2009 18:40

Just playing
marriage(note area)
Winifred Alice Silvey 1892 Andover Hampshire, Wiltshire
1881(close to Andover)
Winifred Alice Silvey abt 1863 London, Middlesex, England Servant Hungerford, Berkshire
birth
Winifred Alice West Silvey 1862 Jul-Aug-Sep Greater London, London, Surrey
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hannah Lilver abt 1835 Hampshire, England Combe, Hampshire
1851(note place of birth)
Hannah Silvey abt 1834 Coombe, Hampshire, England Servant Longparish, Hampshire
1861(note place of birth)
Hannah Silvey abt 1836 Coombe, Hampshire, England Servant Kingsclere, Hampshire
1871(note place of birth)
Anna Smith abt 1836 Coombe, Hampshire, England Shoreditch, London (married)
OR
Hannah Lawrence
[Hannah Silvey] William,
Daniel abt 1838 Welford, Berkshire, England Daughter Welford, Berkshire

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Aug 2009 19:44

Wow thanks everyone,
Yes I have that birth certificate of 1862 and the Andover marriage certificate. The reason I know the marriage certificate is correct is because my g grandfather's name/details are well known in the family (she married Jesse Harding in Andover) and both their names appear on my grandmother's birth certificate. Therefore Winifred Alice Silvey marrying in Andover is correct, just not sure how her birth certificate has no father and her marriage certificate does.
Thanks for the Hannah Silvey Hampshire info, that does seem interesting, I wonder if there are siblings of Winifred.

Sarah

Sarah Report 24 Aug 2009 19:45

oh yes and on the marriage certificate the only witnesses are the groom's side so I can't even look into other Silvey's!