Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registering still births in 1909

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 24 Aug 2009 19:42

Hi,
Just a quick question, would still births be registered in 1909, if so would there also be a death certificate?

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 24 Aug 2009 19:52

Stillbirth registration began on 1 July 1927, so no it would not have been registered. If it took a breath, there should be a death cert.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 24 Aug 2009 22:30

However there are some births of stillborn babies that were registered in the normal birth registers because parents knew there were penalties for non registration but didn't understand the intricacies.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that this is what happened to my grandfathers sister.

Brian

Brian Report 24 Aug 2009 22:45

Thankyou for your help.

The problem i have is via 2 seperate family members i have been told my grgrand lost twins about 1909.

I was given possible names and have located on the birth register possible candidates, but while checking the 1911 census i have found two more children who died in 1901 and 1903.

The columns that list children born was 11, 9 still alive and 2 dead so i'm starting to wonder if the story about the twins was incorrect.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Aug 2009 23:26

I think that the column in 1911 asks about live births.
If the twins were stillborn, they wouldn't have been included in that record, but their loss may still have been remembered within the family and that information could have been handed down through the generations.

Gwyn

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 25 Aug 2009 04:04

Family stories tend to get twisted a bit. Maybe the two deaths that you found, in 1901 & 1903, have become two "twins" in family legend? My mum always thought that her mum's eldest sister died "at birth" - however I have since proved that she lived until nearly 2 years old - and she wasn't the eldest either, she was the 2nd child.

Brian

Brian Report 25 Aug 2009 09:17

Thanks for all your help.

Brian