Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find out?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 Aug 2009 19:43

Is there anyway of finding out if a member is still active or a lapsed member please?

Thanks very much,

Lou

AllanC

AllanC Report 24 Aug 2009 21:26

Not that I know of, but if you try sending a personal message (click on their name, not on the purple reply button) you might get some feedback from GR if they're no longer a member. Of course, if they're still active but just ignore your PM you're no further forward but you've not lost anything by trying.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 Aug 2009 21:56

Hi AllanC, Thanks very much. I'ts so frustrating when it's so obvious you have several ancestors in common and they don't reply to you. But I shall do as you suggest and see what happens.

Thanks again, Lou

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Aug 2009 22:44

as far as I am aware, GR does not notify you if someone has dropped their membership.

GR does notify everyone, paid and unpaid members that there is an email waiting for them .............. but that message is sent to the email address that GR has on file.

You just have to trust that GR has a current email address for that person.

sylvia

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 Aug 2009 22:54

Hi Sylvia, thanks for that. It's not looking good. Genes should really delete all those members trees who have lapsed their membership, and end our heartache. It's so frustrating when you think you've found a match and they don't respond.

Maybe I should drop them a gentle hint.

Thanks again Sylvia.

Regards, Lou

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 Aug 2009 23:12

Can I point out that Genes is and always has been a free site.
The fact that some members chose to pay extra does not alter this.
If Genes deleted dormant accounts then you would not know of the match.

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Aug 2009 02:57

If you look in your "Sent Messages" box, then a purple closed envelop next to your email shows they haven't looked at it for whatever reason. If they had looked at it, it would show as a clear opened envelop. If this has an arrow superimposed, they've replied to it.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 25 Aug 2009 03:13

I sent a message to someone over 4 months ago. She replied today so dont give up

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Aug 2009 16:05

There is no concept on GR as a 'Lapsed Member' Even if there were, I'm not sure how the system would know.

I have contacts who only log on once every six months or in one case about once a year. They certainly don't consider themselves to be 'lapsed' and would not be well pleased if GR deleted them, as would I if GR deleted my second free account which I only log onto occasionally.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 25 Aug 2009 19:46

Hi All, Thanks for your comments. I first contacted this person in July of last year. In Dec of the same year I discovered another ancestor who I found was also in his tree. Then April this year I discovered another ancestor and found a new match to his tree. Not once has he replied.

I contacted Genes re; idea of deling lapsed members trees, and their reply was that they don't do it just in case the persons renew's their membership.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's really appreciated.

Regards and good luck to you all.

Lou

Loopylou

Loopylou Report 27 Aug 2009 22:13

Hi Looby Lou,when l couldnt response,from my missing cousin,l did get intouch withGR to see if she was still a member,they told me they couldnt that info out,and that l should just leave a message trying to find,that was over a year ago..then about 2 weeks ago,up she popped,she hadnt been on the GR site,for over a year and half. so never give up...
regards Bette