Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's easier going back !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 25 Aug 2009 15:11

Hi
I have gone back to 1841 no problem, but now I can't seem to work out how to go forward.. Please help, there are so many web sites, I'm getting confused and I've only just started. What is the best way to look for/find 1920+ records?

Tracy

Tracy Report 26 Aug 2009 17:04

Thanks, I'm going to need that luck ! Why did I start this in the first place.. : )

It would be much easier if they could release the 1921 + census VERY early.. Thanks again.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Aug 2009 17:17

Tracy, take a deep breath! Start with what you have then off you go. For example, a birth cert with parents' names etc. Look at witnesses on marriage certs. Get dates and places of birth. If your ancestor has a common name but their sibling is called something odd look for them instead.
Always better to go backwards rather than forwards in my experience!
If you want a bit of help to get started just yell.
You can get quite far with freebmd - I have had stuff after 1930 from time-to-time - but then you do need ancestry or FMP (or people on here to do lookups!)
Jan