Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Members Viewing My Tree. Help please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Aug 2009 00:32

Im hoping some kind person out there can help me.

Ive allowed other members to view my tree but have secured it so living relatives are hidden.

However, there are some relations that are on my tree that I havnt managed to find death dates for & members are saying they are remaining hidden because of this.

Can I put something obvious in the death date that will be obvious to me I havent researched this yet but allow it show up to other members?

Thanks Jenny x

Kate

Kate Report 27 Aug 2009 00:39

What about putting an approximate date of death in? For instance, if it's your great uncle and your mother/father remembers they were alive when they were a child, but not when they reached adulthood, you could pick a rough date and then tick the box on the tree to show that it's a guess and add that you need to verify the dates to the notes section for that person.

That way, whoever is looking at your tree will know the relative is dead but that the date has to be checked.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Aug 2009 00:44

Thanks Kate,
I have been doing that where ive got an idea of dates.

I was wondering if I put 0 or ive seen null on some trees what effect this would have?

Otherwise I will have some relations where there is a good guestimate & some where it just a stab in the dark!

Was hoping I could make it more obvious to myself that I havnt even looked into death yet!

Thanks again.

Jenny x

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 27 Aug 2009 00:49

If the year 0 does not work, how about something obvious like the year 5000? I don't know if this will work but it's worth a try. It will certainly be obvious to anyone viewing your Tree this is not a correct death date.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Aug 2009 00:52

Thats definately worth a try!!!

Thanks for that.

Jenny x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Aug 2009 06:53

If you are not sure of a date you can use the abbreviation Abt (about / approx) or Bef (before)

Programs such as FTM use it as standard.

If there is no death date but the birth date is more than 100 years ago then GR's 'hide' logic treats the person as deceased,.