Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 Census Problem!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Aug 2009 13:30

Hi Everyone,
Im in a right mess & the more I look at it the less I understand it. Please,please.please could some kind person put me out of my misery!!!!

Looking up Church family on 1861 census, all was going well but now ive got conflicting information & im very confused.
BENJAMIN JOHN CHURCH Age 36 Coal Porter
ANN CHURCH (Wife) Age 33
SARAH ANN CHURCH (Dau) Age 13
FRANCIS R CHURCH (Son) Age 9 Scholar
JAMES R (Son) Scholar
living at 13/14 Clarener st (Which could be Clarence Pl), Gravesend, Kent

Thats what I was expecting to find.
Also found record for :-
ANN PRIESTLEY (Head) Age 30 from Kensington,Middlesex
CHARLES E 9 MONTHS? (SON)
CHRISTMAS CHURCH Age 3 (SON)
CHARLES(son) Age 8 Scholar
MARY A?E (Niece) Age 1/2?
AMELIA Age 6m? (dau)
SARAH WEBSTER? visitor Age 35
EDWARD ? Servant? Age 23 Sweep
living at 14 clarener st (Clarence Pl)

The reason im confused is my records show Ann Priesley married Benjamin John Church at st peter & st paul, milton next gravesend, kent on 5 apr 1847. Fathers on marriage certificate are Benjamin Church & Thomas Priesley both Chimny Sweeps.

So what is the record under Ann Priestley at the same address? & who are the other people on that record?

Please help. Was it a census fiddle or something?????

Jenny x

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Aug 2009 13:44

I do have a genes member who helps me & she has all the children listed for ann Priesley/Priestley.

Sarah Ann1848,
Benjamins Francis 1849 ,
Francis Richard 1852,
James Robert 1855,
Christmas Richard 1858,
Charles Gilbert 1860,
Elizabeth Amelia1863,
Frances 1863,
Catherine 1866,
Mary Ann1869.

Jenny x

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Aug 2009 13:46

Hi Jenny

Just had a look at the 1861 census and it shows Ann Priestley is a widow. She could possibly be a sister in law to Ann Church.

Did Ann who married Benjamin have any brothers? Is so try and find a marriage.

I would do more but I'm in work and my lunch break is just about to come to an end, I'll bookmark your thread and if you've had no other responses I will try and help some more.

kind regards

Ruth

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Aug 2009 13:52

Dont know will have to look up her father Thomas & see. Need to do lunch for current family members so have to look a bit later too.
Thanks for possibility though.
Jenny x

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Aug 2009 13:52

Hi Jenny

Sorry forgot to say that I think that you have mixed up the 2 families

CHARLES E 9 MONTHS? (SON)
CHRISTMAS CHURCH Age 3 (SON)

these 2 come before Ann Priestley at the top of the page so belong to the Church family in the previous household.

regards

Ruth

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Aug 2009 13:55

Double-check the image again.

I agree it's probably Clarence Street by the way.

On the first page - 13 Clarence Street is uninhabited - there's a 1 in the uninhabited column - bit squished but it's there. So the family live at 14 Clarence Street.

Benjamin and Anne had the following children:
Sarah, Francis, James, Christmas and Charles.

Also at 14 Clarence Street and in a separate household are:
Ann Priestley (wid) with children - Charles, Mary and Amelia and niece Mary. Plus two visitors.

Does that help?

It's possible that Ann Church (nee Priestley) was related to Mr Priestley (husband of Ann Priestley nee ______).

Could be worth looking for marriage of a Mr Priestley and Ann ____ in FreeBMD in approx 1850? Could be worth looking for male Priestley deaths in between 1858/59 and 1861. Might all make a bit more sense then.

Jill

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Aug 2009 14:05

This is your family, 2 more children next page:
1861 census
13/14 Clarence St., Milton, Gravesend, Kent
Benjamin Church, head, 36, coal porter, born St. Pancras
Ann, wife, 33, born Gravesend
Sarah Ann, dau, 13, born "
Francis R., son, 9, born "
James R., son, 6, born "
Christmas, son, 3, born "
Charles G., son, 9 months, born "

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Aug 2009 14:21

Thanks everyone. Just need to heck out Ann Church nee Priesley/Priestly had a sister in law living there who was married to one of her brothers now!

Thanks again everyone.

just very confusing if she was born priesley & married a Church but also her brother married an Ann ? who became Ann Priestley.

Thanks again

Jenny x