Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Contacting IGI Submitters

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Aug 2009 23:23

A couple of people tried to help me on this yesterday, but I can't find their posts or my replies.

Is is possible to contact IGI submitters, and how to you do it?

Margaret

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 30 Aug 2009 10:21

Are you talking about IGI or GR submitters ?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 30 Aug 2009 10:44

On the IGI.

Find the individuals record, scroll doown to where it says submitter. If the submitters details are available it says details on the right hand side. Click on that.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Aug 2009 13:01

I wrote to an address given for a submitter but didnt get any reply .the submitting may have been done years ago and the submitter no longer at the address given BUT its worth a try

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 30 Aug 2009 13:23

And you can always google the submitters name to see if they have a tree elsewhere.

A few years ago I found my grans sister on the IGI together with the submitters address. I googled his name and found he had a website. I contacted him and we exchanged info. It wasn't his relation but it transpired his wife is my second cousin.

Funny thing is, I live 150 yards from them, 25 miles away from gran and great aunts birthplace in London!

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 30 Aug 2009 13:45

A few years ago I found an IGI submitter who had connections with my husbands family But before I wrote to them I checked in the phone book for the state the lived in to see if they had moved.,which they had done so I wrote to their new address.
I also checked an address for someone who had connections with my grandmothers family . The man concerned wrote back to me and said although he was compiling his family history he had no connection with mine at at all and couldn't understand why his name was on as a submitter for my family

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 30 Aug 2009 15:54

Hi folks. DET I did not delete my post, have been advised not to do so, but I can't see why GR should have deleted it either. It is not in My Threads. Elizabeth, I meant an IGI submitter. Janet, I can't see anything on the record that says "Submitter". In "Messages" it says whether the record is extracted or submitted. If submitted it either tells me no further information is available, form submitted by a member of the LDS church which may give the submitter's address, and other similar messages, but nothing that leads me to the submitter's name. Am I just unlucky in looking at records where the name is not available?

Margaret

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 30 Aug 2009 15:59

I'm afraid you appear to be unlucky.

Some of the records are submitted by LDS members and some by family historians. I guess yours was a member of the LDS who may have been submitting a transcription of a parish record.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 30 Aug 2009 16:11

Thanks Janet, that sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Margaret

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 30 Aug 2009 20:47

Thanks Janet, that sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Margaret

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 30 Aug 2009 22:51

I also have wrong information about my family on the IGI and the same info is on Ancestry
When I was at the LDS in London I pointed this out to the Elder of the Church and he said that it could not be altered