Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Conundrum -help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 30 Aug 2009 01:08

I am doing a bit of research for a friend on her grandfather & grandmother.

I am looking for a marriage of James Byrne & Nora Lannon (poss. Lannin - info from friends father, their son, around 1925 ish.
I can find the births of 6 children in Haslingden, Lancs and one in Manchester, (this is the father of friend )but surname of mother is recorded as Lennon. (I need to confirm whether these are his siblings with friend)

Both James & Nora where definitely born in Ireland, Nora in 1898 but we are not sure when they came to England ? married in Ireland. I can also find a Nora Lannon on Irish 1911 census aged 12, in Kilkenny which also fits in with information given.

Can anyone suggest a direction to take next? I shall be popping in now and again to pick up any answers.
Thanks in advance
Sandra

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 30 Aug 2009 07:03

There is no marriage between them on the Free BMD. Plenty of Byrne marriages but none to anyone whose name even starts with "L" (apart from Lord).

Suppose therefore they were married in Ireland.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 30 Aug 2009 07:14

Possible direction to take next. From my Irish Ancestors Wizard. You might also like to check out Teresa's Thread

http://www.genesreunited.com.au/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=951721

This is from the wizard.

* james byrne was born in Ireland around 1905, but you don't know precisely where
* He married nora lannon about 1925.
* He left Ireland
* He went to in Great Britain

First, you should keep in mind that there are at least 9 variant spellings of byrne - Byrne, O'Byrne, Bourne, Burne, Byrn, O'Birne, Bourn, Ó Broin, Burn, - and records of james byrne may be listed under any (or all) of these. However, Irish (Gaelic) spellings are rare in records before 1900.

james byrne was born after the start of Irish civil registration, so his birth should be registered. Without information on his parents, however, your chances of uncovering the right entry are very poor.

james byrne's marriage also occurred after the start of civil registration in 1864, and should also be recorded. It should be possible to crosscheck byrne and lannon in the marriage indexes relatively easily. General Register Office records can be researched through the public Offices in Dublin and Belfast, or via the Family History Centers of the LDS Church. Since you don't know a location in Ireland, the most important information these records contain is a precise address. This will enable you to move on to other, location-specific sources. For more information on GRO records, click here.

Most Irish record sources - parish records, land records, census returns - are based on specific locations. Until you know a specific location within Ireland, preferably a parish or placename, it will be difficult to do anything more with these records.

byrne and lannon households (with these precise spellings of the names) were both present in the same 32 parishes in Griffith's Valuation (1847-1864) in 18 cities or counties. This means both surnames were relatively widespread, and it will be difficult to narrow down the area of origin from Griffith's. If you would still like to see a list of all of these parishes, click here, (paying).

EDIT Sorry forgot the web site for the Irish Wizard

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/research/assessment/index.cfm?UserID=

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 30 Aug 2009 13:10

Thanks Aunty S. I shall look at this web page.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 30 Aug 2009 13:26

Be cautious. I believe it is a fairly costly exercise. Teresa's thread might offer a better option. Sorry I'm not much good at Irish things.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 30 Aug 2009 13:27

You can find details of Irish civil marriages on the record search pilot on www.familysearch.org

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 31 Aug 2009 11:04

Thanks Brenda and for your PM

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 31 Aug 2009 11:40

Brenda your pm was wonderful!

What you have found could be the marriage!

Name: James Byrne
Registration district: Kilkenny
Record type: MARRIAGES
Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1923
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101575
Volume: 3
Page: 327
Digital GS number: 4199367
Image number: 00188
Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

Name: Norah Lennon
Registration district: Kilkenny
Record type: MARRIAGES
Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1923
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101575
Volume: 3
Page: 327
Digital GS number: 4199367
Image number: 00197
Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

Notice Vol number and page number the same. Does this mean a marriage?

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Aug 2009 15:40

I don't know, but I would guess their index is pretty much like the English GRO's, and the a couple of marrs per page in the register, so there'll be two males and two females with the same vol/page ref, and it's up to you how you think they're paired off (well, short of buying the uncertified register image which is cheaper than buying a cert)