Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lincoln Archives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 31 Aug 2009 23:33

I'm thinking of going to the Lincoln Archives tomorrow. Does anyone know what I should expect when I get there. I have got the geneology bug and want to find out more about my ancestors.
andies

tombola

tombola Report 1 Sep 2009 00:29

No, but could you possibly let me know as I'm planning to go as just found relatives of mine there.
have just sent off for a copy of a birth cert to verify this certain family member!

good luck are you travelling far??

Best wishes
Angela

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 1 Sep 2009 01:28

Dear Andies

Hello

Here are some helpful hints for visiting the record office:

1. Ring the office before you set off to make sure they are open AND
that they hold the records that you want to see.

Plan your journey there and back.

Pick up all the literature that the record office has when you arrive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Be sure of what you want to try and find out.

3. Take a transparent bag to hold pencils, erasers.

4. Take two notebooks, don't use separate sheets of paper.

5. Take plenty of change for the photocopier, microfiche, etc

6. Don't take valuables with you. Be sure to take the key from your locker with you. Don't lose it.

7. Make sure you record all reference numbers and page numbers from original materials.

Enjoy your day.

Best wishes

GeordieLad

GeordieLad Report 1 Sep 2009 03:14

All excellent advice, I especially agree with the fist one - my only addition would be ...

3a. Don't take pens (they aren't allowed), only pencils, so that any marks on original documents aren't permanent.

I can see that a notebook is better than loose sheets (I've been through that one, 'now, which sheet comes first?') but I'm intrigued by the 'two notebooks' - why?

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 1 Sep 2009 06:01

Maybe to late, but this link will tell you about the archives:-

http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Archives/

Also you will need a CARN readers ticket, take proof of identity and address with you if you do not have one, they can provide them there provided you bring a passport size photo.

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Sep 2009 08:02

Thanks to one and all for the advice you have given me. I would not have known any of it. I live just outside of Lincoln so not far to go.

Thanks loads
andies

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 1 Sep 2009 15:53

hi there,
Maybe a little too late, but some things you have to order before you go, so that they can get them out of the special room that they have. You can look at quite a bit that you don't need to order. I found someone in the asylum and have now found the reference numbers from the archives via the gentleman that you have to write to for information like that, and believe me it was worth digging, as this has produced some fantastic information relating to how he was treated. The books for the asylum are fantastic and still smell of carbolic soap even in 1888. You do have to book this before you go. So do bear that in mind. You can give them a ring and they are very helpful and can give you advice as to wether they hold any different information regarding the people you are looking for. They might still be open.

tombola

tombola Report 6 Sep 2009 01:40

Just to thankyou for your information and reply,
Best wishes

Angela

miffed

miffed Report 6 Sep 2009 13:02

Dear andies

Could you possibly add to this thread how you got on and if YOU found anything else to be useful as I too would like to visit, only I live quite a distance away.

Thankx