Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Privacy on Ancestry?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BettyLou

BettyLou Report 1 Sep 2009 11:15

I have my family in a tree on FTM 2008. I have my grandchildren's names and dates in full temporarily as I was printing a tree for them. I now find that people are researching these names on Ancestry even though I have NO tree there! Does this mean everything that one thought was private is in the public domain?

Betty

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 1 Sep 2009 12:58

Betty

Ancestry has two types of tree Public Member Tree and Personal Member Tree. The Public is fully open to everyone. Personal is closed to only those invited by the owner. I keep mine Personal and invite only those direct immediate family.

So yes, possibily if someone else has these children on Ancestry an its a Public Tree
MB

Thelma

Thelma Report 1 Sep 2009 13:01

Are you saying that the tree is on your computer only?
Ancestry have four trees including world and one world.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Sep 2009 13:02

Your FTM data is held on your PC, so unless someone is hacking your PC it is only available for you to see.

Have you tried contacting the ancestry Members asking what their connection is? Is it possible that they are distant relations or have been given some information by a relative? Are you sure you have never uploaded your information to a web site?

Now that Births and Marriages are available to search on Ancestry up to 2005. Once you have a name to staret off with it can take but a few minutes to put together a basic tree if you are so minded, especially if the name is not that common, So, in a way yes, a lot of what you might have thought was private is actually in the public domain.

Potty

Potty Report 1 Sep 2009 13:05

Further to Hawkwind's question about whether you have contacted the tree owners - I think you should contact them and ask them to remove the info as it obviously refers to living people and should not be there unless they the relevant people's permission.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Sep 2009 13:10

Have you entered your tree on Familytree Maker online?

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 1 Sep 2009 14:04

Do these ancestors have birth/death dates? Ancestry has a very good facilty to block from public view, even on a public tree, the names of living persons?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Sep 2009 17:29

With ref to Potty's suggestion I don't think Ancestry adopt a policy re removing living persons names, so you can't insist they remove the names of living persons, only request the member to do so.

In fact unless I have missed it, I don't think that GR adopt such a policy these days either - I think it is only applicable for uploading photographs of living persons where prior permission of the person must be obtained.

BettyLou

BettyLou Report 1 Sep 2009 17:29

Sorry to delay coming back everyone - had a 'bit of a do'. Will read through all your advices and try and work out what's happened.
Thank you all, Betty

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Sep 2009 23:18

I don't understand this. I have my grandchildrens' names and dates on my Familytree Maker here at home but there's no way they will ever go online anywhere. The only online tree I have is here on Genes but there are absolutely no living people on it except for myself.
I still think your Familytree Maker must be linked to the online one.