Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorces c1940

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CarolinAustralia

CarolinAustralia Report 2 Sep 2009 14:22

Hoping someone can assist - I am aware a divorce proceeding went to court (whether that was the norm for that period I don't know) - is there somewhere I can apply for a copy of the proceedings as there is no notation on the marriage cert that this ended in divorce. How would I obtain reference numbers etc. etc. to get to the correct record.

Leads me to another question - also have a similar case in 1908 would the same apply?

Many thanks

Carol

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 2 Sep 2009 14:42

The National Archives site has info about divorces

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

just click on quick links--Divorce

CarolinAustralia

CarolinAustralia Report 2 Sep 2009 15:00

Thanks Rutland

Will give it a whirl.

Kind regards

Carol

CarolinAustralia

CarolinAustralia Report 2 Sep 2009 15:22

Hi Amokavid

I just noticed that on the NA site - you would think if they were doing that they would at least cross ref to marriage entries - wouldn't have been hard - but the worst thing is you don't actually see all that transpired.

Sacrilage to destroy any documents!!

Carol

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 2 Sep 2009 15:55

For CarolinAustralia

I have my great grandparents divorce records from 1907 (from the National Archives). There are 32 pages and they cost me £17 last year.

I had previously applied to the London Family Division Office and they told me that the records had been destroyed and charged me £25 to tell me this nonsense.

CarolinAustralia

CarolinAustralia Report 2 Sep 2009 21:29

Morning Amokavid and Janetell

I have both my nan's marriage certs and neither cite the info, or anything similar, on them unfortunately. It was that another relative mentioned to me she was used as a witness in the court case so thought I would give it a whirl that info could be found, as I never gave it a thought about using the courts for divorce until this was mentioned to me.

Now a wizz with National Archives I am not - I struggle all the time with that site - but am persisting in trying to see if I can find the info and also recalled that my daughter mentioned a divorce that went to court in 1908 on a line she is searching so we will both plug away at this site to see if we can find the right reference(s).

Thank you both so much for your input - there is hope!

Kind regards

Carol

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 2 Sep 2009 21:49

Hello Carol

If you PM me some names I will have a go at searching the National Archives for you.

I have my great grandfather's second marriage certificate and it does not say he was divorced. This was in 1908 and he stated that he was a bachelor. I presume the second wife must have known he was divorced as she was one of the 'other women' cited in the case. He told a blatant lie; presumeably so he could marry in church. Great grandfather was illiterate; maybe it was wife number 2 who told him to say that he was a bachelor so she could have her 'big day'. She was half his age but in spite of the age difference they had 3 children together and stayed married until his death 20 years later.

Janet